Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Made a quick trip to the range this afternoon to shoot the the 03A4 in its present condition. I had some Hunting Shack 175 gr ammo, which the 03A4 didn't seem to be thrilled with. Shot both groups at 100 yards.

Also some Federal Powrshok 150 gr, which the rifle seemed to like more. I made two scope adjustments (first hit was far right), adjusted the scope (fired two more, which impacted left of the first shot), made another adjustment and fired a five shot group.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

It'd still be a rebuilt rifle with no collector value. Like I say it's all the wee metal bits that add up fast. That $5.50 is for 1 butt plate screw. And not all the wee metal bits are easy to find. That hunt can go on and on.
    Oh and I paid $175Cdn for my '03A4. About 40 years ago.
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

You make a good point bout it being a rebuild.

I paid considerably more for my 03A4 a few years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    I've got a K2.5 Weaver that I just got back from Iron Sight scope repair. I was thinking about using that. But I also have a Lyman Alaskan with the proper verticle split scope rings if I decide to go for a full on restoration.

I went with the Lyman Alaskan. If you mount the forward ring behind the adjustment turrets, the scope will be far enough forward to fully operate the original safety. I also use a K2.5 60B in horizontal split Redfields, and it's a fine scope to shoot with, but the Lyman I have mounted has the post with a crosshair, is bright, sharp, has yet to fog, and easily adjustable. For load development, I mounted a Lyman 8X All American perma-center on it with fairly fine crosshairs and adjustable objective that works great, can be mounted low enough that I don't have to use a chin weld on the stock, and still gives "the look", even though it wouldn't be even close to legal for a CMP match.

"...my 03A4 a few years ago..." You shooting it? I had a guy at Second Chance years ago nearly cry when I said mine shot really well.
    No original scope on mine. 2.5 to 8X Scopechief. Original scopes ran $200US in those days. More than what I paid for the rifle.
    Spelling and grammar count!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I went with the Lyman Alaskan. If you mount the forward ring behind the adjustment turrets, the scope will be far enough forward to fully operate the original safety. I also use a K2.5 60B in horizontal split Redfields, and it's a fine scope to shoot with, but the Lyman I have mounted has the post with a crosshair, is bright, sharp, has yet to fog, and easily adjustable. For load development, I mounted a Lyman 8X All American perma-center on it with fairly fine crosshairs and adjustable objective that works great, can be mounted low enough that I don't have to use a chin weld on the stock, and still gives "the look", even though it wouldn't be even close to legal for a CMP match.
    I had Iron Sight go through my K2.5 and replace the duplex reticle with a post and cross wire. Other than the reticle, was the Lyman better than the Weaver?

My Weaver is a K4-1, with the Micro-trac adjustment, which Mike at Iron sight is really high on.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...my 03A4 a few years ago..." You shooting it? I had a guy at Second Chance years ago nearly cry when I said mine shot really well.
    No original scope on mine. 2.5 to 8X Scopechief. Original scopes ran $200US in those days. More than what I paid for the rifle.
    I do not shoot it. I probably should, at least occasionally, but I don't. The scope is a B series Lyman Alaskan, which is generally believed to be GI.