Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 03A4 CMP vintage sniper rifle.

I am starting another CMP vintage sniper rifle project, this time for my eldest son and wanted some advice. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible

Years ago I glommed a 03A4 that had been sporterized. This was fortuitous for my current project because although the rifle was very finely polished and blued, the metal appears to be uncut...so no need for a new barrel, bolt, or scope mount.

Somewhere along the line I also got this scant stock...looking it over, it appears to have never been used. I can find no cartouches or stamps of any kind on it. It does have a small bolt cutout, however. Is it possible that this is a NOS actual 03A4 scant stock?

I've got a Weaver K2.5 with a post and crosshair, so I'm covered on optics.

The barrel is full length, but has been polished so finely that there is no longer any stampings visible...

If I just assemble this rifle "as is" does anyone see any problems? Is the current finish and lack of barrel markings likely to be a problem?

Thanks.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

The bolt cut in the scant stock appears legit to me, but I'm not an expert, just have seen a few originals. I've got that stock's twin ready to go on my own. If the metal finish bothers you, as it did mine, I sent it to Chuck in Denver, and was quite pleased with the results. Parts that were supposed to be parked were, as were the 'blue' parts. Even looks like you've got the right vintage Redfield base. Put it together, see how it shoots!

If I just assemble this rifle "as is" does anyone see any problems? Is the current finish and lack of barrel markings likely to be a problem?
    Finish and lack of markings won't be a problem. You will have to install a safety in order to compete in CMP games. Stock does appear to be a replacement for an 03 A4.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    The bolt cut in the scant stock appears legit to me, but I'm not an expert, just have seen a few originals. I've got that stock's twin ready to go on my own. If the metal finish bothers you, as it did mine, I sent it to Chuck in Denver, and was quite pleased with the results. Parts that were supposed to be parked were, as were the 'blue' parts. Even looks like you've got the right vintage Redfield base. Put it together, see how it shoots!
    Thanks, Darreld.

I've been getting some encouragement to do a full on restoration.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    Finish and lack of markings won't be a problem. You will have to install a safety in order to compete in CMP games. Stock does appear to be a replacement for an 03 A4.
    Thanks, Emri.

Trying to decide whether to go full on or keep it cheap.

Blog Entries

What kind of scope are you going for?
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    What kind of scope are you going for?
    I've got a K2.5 Weaver that I just got back from Iron Sight scope repair. I was thinking about using that. But I also have a Lyman Alaskan with the proper verticle split scope rings if I decide to go for a full on restoration.

"...this scant stock..." It appears to be cracked by the reinforcing screw and looks like it has been sanded excessively. All those round edges.
    Does the barrel have the fore sight cuts? Like Emri says, it's missing a few parts. Gunparts has the bolt sleeve with the safety lock assembly for $23.75. So it's not a terribly expensive fix.
    Spelling and grammar count!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...this scant stock..." It appears to be cracked by the reinforcing screw and looks like it has been sanded excessively. All those round edges.
    Does the barrel have the fore sight cuts? Like Emri says, it's missing a few parts. Gunparts has the bolt sleeve with the safety lock assembly for $23.75. So it's not a terribly expensive fix.
    I do not think that is a crack, if you are referring to the grain which extends through the rear reinforcing screw...

There appears to be little sanding with this stock "in the flesh". The edges of the cutouts for the bottom metal, lower band and rear sling swivel are all sharp.

The barrel does have the foresight cuts

Thanks for the tip on the bolt sleeve

Yep. From the different angle it doesn't look cracked.
    Now the issue is how much money do you(that should be your son) want to spend on a restoration? It's all the wee metal bits that add up. $5.50 for a butt plate screw(Gunparts), etc. etc. adds up in a hurry. And some of the wee metal bits just aren't available.
    "...appears to be little sanding..." The top edges, that really don't matter for a shooter, are sanded.
    Spelling and grammar count!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Yep. From the different angle it doesn't look cracked.
    Now the issue is how much money do you(that should be your son) want to spend on a restoration? It's all the wee metal bits that add up. $5.50 for a butt plate screw(Gunparts), etc. etc. adds up in a hurry. And some of the wee metal bits just aren't available.
    "...appears to be little sanding..." The top edges, that really don't matter for a shooter, are sanded.
    Well, you have put your finger on the issue...how much time and money will be needed to convert this one back to something approximating original condition is the issue. Some posters on the CMP forum believe that it would be a net gain and that is possible, but certainly not a sure thing.

Luckily, I got the rifle for $375, the scope and rings for $200 and the stock for $75...so I'm off to a decent start cost-wise.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-11-2019 at 04:46.