1. Default Addition to the stable

Fell into this at a gun show Sunday. Couldn't pass it up. Looking for opinions from the forum. Here it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Early one.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

3. Default

Very pretty. Are you going to shoot it?
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

4. Default

Probably not. I have others that I can shoot. Very nice bore for a barrel this age.

Lots of good info on this site:

www.m1903.com

As you perhaps may know, your rifle was originally manufactured in .30-'03 caliber. The rifle has since been altered to .30-'06 caliber circa 1908-10. The barrel and receiver are an original post-alteration combination. The stock with two crossbolts dates from 1917 or later, so it's not the original stock.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

J.B.

7. Default

Thanks for replying John. I was hoping to hear from you. I too thought the 2 bolt stock was late. The ladder sight as been replaced as well as the butt plate as it should be smooth. Everything else appears to be period. I jumped on this as these are so hard to find. Don't come up around here. I feel I got a good buy at $700.00. Anything I have seen have the barrels replaced and no GG stocks. Thanks again for your wisdom. It has always been appreciated John! Thank you!