Blog Entries

sorry to hear,,

I thought you gave up on this place,,,,,

welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    sorry to hear,,

I thought you gave up on this place,,,,,

welcome back
    Not really, too many life issues going on. New anti cancer treatments to deal with, continued construction, work and business. Church is looking for a new pastor so I am doing any counseling duties now. Daughter picked out a little bull at the shelter so now I am training this dog. Have trees to report and more tomatoes to prune and place in the new hydrophonics, 60 new ones in total. I am using my phone as I am on the go and can't take time for my computer.
    Sam

Glad to have you back Sam but sorry to hear of your loss.

Seems like the older we get the closer we become to our pets. We have more time to be with them and appreciate them more so we just naturally become very attached to them. As much happiness as they bring I will never take or buy another dog or cat. I will take one in that needs a home but will not actively hunt for one just to have a pet as I can't endure any more of their departures. They just don't live long enough.

Brought home from the shelter our Bull Dog, about 3-4 years old. Kinda resembles the dog from Our Gang movies. Friendly dog, Wolf is taller and so far each is trying to adjust to each other. He is just a loveable dog in need of affection and reassurance.
    Sam

Has anyone owned a Golden Retriever? I know the puppies are expensive but they are handsome, smart, friendly and easy to train. Id like to have one but wife is against owning any dog in our retirement years due to her urge to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Has anyone owned a Golden Retriever? I know the puppies are expensive but they are handsome, smart, friendly and easy to train. Id like to have one but wife is against owning any dog in our retirement years due to her urge to travel.
    I don't own one but have been around many of them. They seem to be great dogs and good with children.

If it were me I would have two concerns, one being "do they shed"? Some dogs do not shed at all but have to be groomed. Others don't have to be groomed but shed like crazy making everything in your house fur covered. Dog and cat fur is extremely hard to remove from fabric upholstery.

The other concern would be the travel. Dogs aren't comfortable in a kennel or being at home alone for long periods. They like being with and staying with people. It's almost cruel to not give them this joy.

If it were me I would postpone the addition to the family till the traveling days are over so you can devote more time to someone who's only going to be here for a very short time. My 2 cents as a dog owner/lover.

A few breeds, like Poodles and Yorkies don’t shed as much, but Goldens and Labs will shed a lot at certain times of the year. My daughter has two Labs and will always have her labs. We watch them occasionally and just resign ourselves to clean up after them when they return home. It’s amazing what they leave behind. My sister owned and raised many Labs and Goldens over the past 50 years and they are my favorite dog breed by far. Friendly, smart and very food oriented which makes them very trainable. And did I mention, smart? They also have excellent memories from their puppyhood. If you held them on your lap a lot when they were a few weeks old, they think nothing of climbing on your lap when they are fully grown and weigh 75 pounds. As I said, I’d like to have a Golden but it’s never gonna happen.