Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I heard back from Bob Beach, the now-retired historian for Griffin and Howe...

"I regret that I have retired from doing the research and letters of provenance effective the end of 2018. There is a current G&H employee who intends to continue the service but it will take some time to rearrange his present responsibilities and familiarize him with the available documents.
    A new Research email account has not yet been set up for him so I will continue to read and respond to inquiries. As you may know there are no original G&H& records prior to 1970 except for those rifles sold through Abercrombie & Fitch which owned G&H from 1930 until 1976 and sold many G&H rifles as both new and used guns. I checked all of the possible G&H serials numbers in the A&F records that were in the form 1x27 and there were four possibilities, but each does not seem to describe your rifle.

No. 1127 is built on a Winc. M54 action

No. 1627 has a 26 inch barrel

No. 1827 is a Winc. model 70 in .270 caliber

No. 1927 is in caliber 257 Roberts.

This suggests that your rifle could be:

No. 1027 built in 1930 – 31

No. 1227 built in 1933

No. 1327 built about 1933 - 34

No. 1427 built in 1935

No. 1527 built about 1936

or No. 1727 built in the early 1940’s

These dates are derived from the dates of near number G&H rifles sold at A&F and Michael Petroff’s research. I will check the files at G&H when I next get there which may not happen until November. G&H does have some paperwork for guns that were sent back for shop work post 1970 but these haven’t yet been put into the database that I can check. If I find anything more for you I’ll be sure to get back to you.

Thank you for the inquiry and enjoy owning this piece of undocumented history.

Regards,"

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this article about a Wimbledon "Bull Gun" made by Griffin and Howe for Ben Comfort, who won the 1935 Wimbledon match with it. Comfort's rifle was chambered in 300 H&H. and was built on a Remington model 30 action, which bears a strong resemblance to a 1917 action.

http://sportsmanslegacy.com/firearm/...d-elmer-keith/

The barrel profile, although chambered in 300 H&H mag rather than 30.06, appears to be very similar to mine.

Muzzle seems very similar to mine also.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Blog Entries

Remington Mod 30 was a commercial version of the 1917 action

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    Remington Mod 30 was a commercial version of the 1917 action
    Yep. Even retained the clip loading slot.

4. Default

The recess for the rear sight doesn’t seem to fit the Lyman style rear sight very well. Is there another style rear sight that would have been fitted to your rifle?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    The recess for the rear sight doesn’t seem to fit the Lyman style rear sight very well. Is there another style rear sight that would have been fitted to your rifle?
    I believe that it was originally recessed for a Wittek-Vaver rear sight. It is the closest match that I can find. Here is a picture of the 1903 Vaver sight.

Last edited by Calfed; 01-29-2020 at 08:44.

6. Default

Wow!

7. Default

I believe that my rifle is an old Wimbledon style "Bull Gun". From what I've learned, prior to Ben Comfort using a rifle chambered in 300 H&H magnum, most bull guns were chambered in 30.06 (like my rifle) and based on a 1903 Springfield action.

I mounted a Lyman Super Targetspot on my rifle and comparing it to Ben Comfort's Wimbledon "Bull Gun" is what convinces me that is probably what my rifle was conceived as.