Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Griffin and Howe M1903 heavy barrel target rifle

I recently glommed this rifle at an auction and have been scouring the internet for any information about it with almost almost no luck.

The auction pics and description...

"Custom U.S. Springfield, Model 1903, Bolt Action Rifle, with 28" custom heavy barrel by Griffin & Howe, .30-06 caliber, SN 1269532, custom heavy walnut checkered stock, very nice condition."

It arrived a few days ago and I got a chance to snap a few pictures before it went into my FFL's safe for a 10-day "cooling-off" period. Anyone have any information on G&H heavy barrel target rifles?

The bore is very good...shiny, sharp and the muzzle measures "0" on the CMP muzzle gauge. The bluing is excellent.

The barrel is marked "Griffin and Howe Inc New York"

And "30.06 Gov"

Bolt had striker modified and the bolt handle is marked "J5"

Stock has interesting grain

Last edited by Calfed; 08-31-2019 at 12:34.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

2. Default

If there is a number with the G&H lettering they will have records on the rifle. I have a rifle with Barreled by Griffin and Howe but no number so no record.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    If there is a number with the G&H lettering they will have records on the rifle. I have a rifle with Barreled by Griffin and Howe but no number so no record.
    Thanks, Krag. What kind of barrel is on yours?

4. Default

I have a 1922 M1 receiver set up for 22 Hornet with box magazine done by Springfield barreled by Griffin & Howe.

5. Default

I have a 1922 M1 receiver set up for 22 Hornet with box magazine done by Springfield barreled by Griffin & Howe.
    The only other heavy barrel G&H 1903 I can find is one from about a decade ago that was auctioned off on James Julia auctions. It was inscribed "REBARRELED BY GRIFFIN & HOWE INC NEW YORK” .

https://www.morphyauctions.com/james...d-rifle-37982/

6. Default

Finally got in and picked up my rifle.

I couldn't find any more markings on it, other than this. Under one of the scope blocks I found "No 1x27". The X digit was drilled through for the scope block.

Bolt body has the previously referred to "damascene"

Muzzle is tight..."0"- on the CMP gauge.

Last edited by Calfed; 10-10-2019 at 02:18.

7. Default

Appears to be s real G&H rifle with the scope being added (poorly) later. I’m sure you can get records from G&H to match up to your rifle.

8. Default

Appears to be s real G&H rifle with the scope being added (poorly) later. I’m sure you can get records from G&H to match up to your rifle.
    Is there an issue with the scope blocks?

9. Default

Probably not, but you need to ask Dan Hudson if you know him. You can usually find him at the Tulsa show,

Blog Entries

would G&H add the blocks in that location?

I have only seen a few G&H rifles, and one loose barrel (from a High Wall) that was D&T's, don't recall ever seeing a Block put over the wording