Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The more I read, the more I learn. Thanks guys. I’ll pick up some IMR 4064 next time I’m in Cabeles.

One more question: Does anyone crimp their reloaded cartridges used with their bolt action rifles? It’s been many years since I’ve purchased any new ammo, but don’t the mfrs crimp new cartridges? Several opinions I’ve read say it’s not necessary and that the case neck provides a sufficient amount of tension to hold the bullet in place. I always thought crimping would equalize the internal pressure assuming the powder load was accurately measured. What say you?

Blog Entries

I don't crimp, for the Garand or the 1903's,

YMMV tho,,

Don't crimp live ammo. Did put some wicking threadlock on the necks of dummy rounds, which had bullets working loose. Don't recommend loctite on live rounds.

I fully resize the 06 cases for my Garand but never crimp. The neck tightens around the bullet sufficiently.

I use a Lyman "M" die to help center the projectile and then a taper crimp to close off. Less concern of length with a taper then a roll crimp if any crimp at all.
    Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    I use a Lyman "M" die to help center the projectile and then a taper crimp to close off. Less concern of length with a taper then a roll crimp if any crimp at all.
    Sam
    I use an ancient Videcki seating die,
    it is a free float similar to the CH benchrest dies, and holds the bullet nice and square like it should,