Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They were there

1. Default

"Reallocated"? Is that anything like "Active acquisition, through the employment of stealth, initiative, and distraction"?

In and around an active combat operation, excess weapons turn up quite often. Casualties are evacuated, but their assigned weapons stay with the operation.

"...Is that anything like..." Kind of, yeah. Isn't right to disparage guys that lived and fought in those conditions though. snicker.
    The reallocation of M1 Rifles by personnel of the 1st Marine Division has been mentioned in every book, both fiction and historical, I've ever read about the Battle of Guadalcanal. U.S. Army and National Guard guys were fairly well known for leaving stuff laying around unattended. Or so I've read.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The Marines did have M1 Garands though on the Canal. I think this is the thing that history has forgot. We actually did a story on this for the Garand Collector's Journal.

The Marines had 24,000 M1 Garands by the time Pearl Harbor was attacked. The Marines were going to retrofit everyone but the infantry first. Their thought process was there would be more revisions coming to the Garand and they would retrofit the infantry last so they received the newest revisions of the rifles. Then Pearl Harbor was attacked and the Marines grew at exponential rates.

But the Marines still took with them over 2000 Garands on the Canal. They just weren't in the hands of the infantry. For instance one of the Defense BN's were totally armed with Garands on the Canal. They didn't have any M1903's. They had 884 M1 Garands. The 1st Marine Division Air Wing had a 132. The 5th BB Squadron had a 171. The 3rd Def BN had 250.

The only M1's I've seen officially with the Infantry were like 12 with the 1st Raider BN, and then the 8th Marines who landed in October had 259.

One thing I've noticed is that ships' Marine detachments sometimes had M1s. There are several pictures of the USS Washington (BB56) with King George VI inspecting the Marines. They obviously have M1s.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that ships' Marine detachments sometimes had M1s. There are several pictures of the USS Washington (BB56) with King George VI inspecting the Marines. They obviously have M1s.
    Yes sir. Many of the ships Detachments got them first. The USS Washington had 80 M1's.

Do you know when the pic was taken of King George? It looks like the USS Washington was supposed to get their 80 M1's in Jan 1942 according to the schedule to retrofit the Marines.

Sorry, should have mentioned the date of King George's visit to the ship -- June 7, 1942. Somehow, I thought it was earlier than that.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

8. Default

All this because on another thread, I wrote that the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal was the only major battle in WWII where US forces met the enemy primarily armed 5 shot bolt action-vs- 5 shot bolt action, and won. Apparently someone on that thread thinks he's the Professor Emeritus of military history, and everyone else watches too much Star Wars. I do not doubt the veracity of any of the responses on this thread though. And I am WELL aware of the 1st Mar Div's penchant for appropriating anything that isn't nailed down & guarded, and one third of the stuff that is. 1st Bn., 5th Regiment, 1st Mar Div...1/5 Forever! Thank you, Gentlemen...
    Last edited by el Woodman; 08-26-2019 at 02:29.

Seems like a logistical headache. After the navy departed shortly after the invasion it must have been a PITA to get 5 shot clipped ammo vs 8 shot clipped ammo to the right units and quantity being they only had a finite quantity at first. Hopefully someone remembered some crates of 8rd clips or guys would be feeling around each morning for last nights clips. Seems pretty silly to equip half a division then move them to a remote island for the first offense of the island war.

Yeah somewhere I have documents talking about they didn't have that many 8 round clips, and after they would fire the last shot, they would collect the clips so they could reload them.

For the most part I have no clue how many saw combat on the Canal. At least early on I mean. They had the rifles but mostly they were in the hands of rear echelon Marines.

One interesting thing I saw, the individual Marines did not really carry as much ammo with the m1903 as I would have guessed. On patrol the after action reports state they usually carried 25rds and they never ran out in a firefight.

To me that shocked me, as that just didn't seem like that much. Though they do comment that grenades were more effective and each man carried 2 grenades on a patrol. They stated that they believed the men should have carried more as the grenade was the go to weapon in the jungle on the Canal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Sorry, should have mentioned the date of King George's visit to the ship -- June 7, 1942. Somehow, I thought it was earlier than that.
    That is still really early. Think about all the times you have seen online someone saying well the Marines were going to keep their M1903's until they went to the Canal and saw the Army's M1's. Well that is all false.

The Marines wanted to adopt a semi automatic rifle since at least 1936 and probably earlier.

The Marines even declared the M1 superior to the M1903 under normal conditions in early 1941. So to me that June 42 date is still pretty early. Especially comparing it to the urban legend that has persisted a long time on the Marines relationship with the M1 early on.

The funny thing is this legend even existed back then. Post WWII a Marine Commandant actually even wrote a magazine trying to correct this story that the Marines didn't want to adopt the M1 until the Canal. So this has been around a long time.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 08-27-2019 at 04:58.