Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They were there

1. Default They were there

Some of our experts can show me all of the paperwork under the sun. From personal interviews with Marine Vets of Guadalcanal, taken at the reunion of the First Marine Division Association,1997, THEY said that most Marines were armed with M1903 rifles. I'll take their word for it.

2. Default

Too bad you missed the excellent article in the Fall 2016 GCA Journal covering the subject. You would have seen a textbook case of how historical inquiry is done. Good luck with those voices in your head.

From his excellent book, "Shots Fired in Anger," Lt. Col. John George, who served on Guadalcanal in the Army, was abundantly clear that the Marines were armed with M1903 rifles.

J.B.

Is there anyone who makes a claim that the Marines weren't armed by a majority of M1903's on the Canal? The only thing I've ever seen argued is everyone says the Marines didn't have any Garands. But this isn't correct as the Marines did take some, but they were mostly in rear echelon units and not in the hands of the Infantry.

Before the Canal ever happened, the Marines had already chose the M1 Garand as their Service rifle, but had not switched the infantry over from their M1903's before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Between bad timing and the huge expansion of the Marine Corps in 1942 and Army supply not being able to keep up, is what lead to the M1903 being the main service rifle on the Canal. If the invasion had been pushed back around 6 months, the M1903 wouldn't have been used.

I have the counts of every weapon the Marines took for the invasion of the Canal, and which units had what. In total they had a little over 24,000 M1903's they took there. But also they had other weapons such as Garands, M50 Reisings, M1928A1 Thompsons, shotguns, boys antitank rifles, M1911's, M1918 and M1918A2 BAR's, and M1917A1 and M1919A4 Machine guns.

They even took some oddities. A few m1922 .22 Springfields, some Winchester A5 Telescopic sighted rifles, and even a few maxim silenced M1903's.

But no everything I have ever seen has always stated the Marines were mostly armed with the M1903. I've never seen anyone claim otherwise.

In my first pastoral appointment, my Sunday School Director was a Guadalcanal veteran. One afternoon I emerged out of the woods behind his house after a day of deer hunting. I was carrying a nice 03-A3. He looked at it a bit. I remember some of what he said. Speaking of the 03 he said, "It's to slow! To slow! That thing'll get you killed!" He said is 03 had an accident and that he replaced it w/ a BAR. He much preferred the BAR. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

It's more like "Who makes a claim that the Marines weren't armed with '03 Springfields?" The M1 Rifle was adopted in February of 1941, but first issued to Stateside guard units. Supposedly, the majority going to the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, another portion to 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, and the rest to the Marine infantry and officer schools."
    https://usmcweaponry.com/wwii-korean-era/
    Marines(1st Division) on Guadalcanal were reported to have "reallocated" M1's from Army units who came along to help though.
    I'd prefer an LMG to a 5 round bolt action too. Even with the weight difference.
    Last edited by Sunray; 08-12-2019 at 10:55.
    Spelling and grammar count!

7. Default

Apparently firstflabn thinks that no one else majored in history, or knows how to do research... Or maybe his delivery figures are supposed to carry more weight than a first person account. So be it in his world...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Is there anyone who makes a claim that the Marines weren't armed by a majority of M1903's on the Canal? The only thing I've ever seen argued is everyone says the Marines didn't have any Garands. But this isn't correct as the Marines did take some, but they were mostly in rear echelon units and not in the hands of the Infantry.

Before the Canal ever happened, the Marines had already chose the M1 Garand as their Service rifle, but had not switched the infantry over from their M1903's before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Between bad timing and the huge expansion of the Marine Corps in 1942 and Army supply not being able to keep up, is what lead to the M1903 being the main service rifle on the Canal. If the invasion had been pushed back around 6 months, the M1903 wouldn't have been used.

I have the counts of every weapon the Marines took for the invasion of the Canal, and which units had what. In total they had a little over 24,000 M1903's they took there. But also they had other weapons such as Garands, M50 Reisings, M1928A1 Thompsons, shotguns, boys antitank rifles, M1911's, M1918 and M1918A2 BAR's, and M1917A1 and M1919A4 Machine guns.

They even took some oddities. A few m1922 .22 Springfields, some Winchester A5 Telescopic sighted rifles, and even a few maxim silenced M1903's.

But no everything I have ever seen has always stated the Marines were mostly armed with the M1903. I've never seen anyone claim otherwise.
    Pray tell what did they do with M1922 .22's on Guadalcanal?

The uncle of my ex-wife (how's that for a tenuous connection?) was a young Marine Lieutenant stationed at Pear Harbor, December 7, 1941. He talked freely of the time up to his finding himself on Guadalcanal (after that moment he didn't have a lot to say). He was armed with a 1911 and knife, canteen and ammo pouch on his web belt when he stepped ashore a month or so after the landings. He was quite specific about all that. When he saw General Vandegrift stalking about with a M1903 slung over his shoulder he said he wised up and snagged one for himself.

Are we now in possession of 4 xxxxxxx?

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Pray tell what did they do with M1922 .22's on Guadalcanal?

The uncle of my ex-wife (how's that for a tenuous connection?) was a young Marine Lieutenant stationed at Pear Harbor, December 7, 1941. He talked freely of the time up to his finding himself on Guadalcanal (after that moment he didn't have a lot to say). He was armed with a 1911 and knife, canteen and ammo pouch on his web belt when he stepped ashore a month or so after the landings. He was quite specific about all that. When he saw General Vandegrift stalking about with a M1903 slung over his shoulder he said he wised up and snagged one for himself.
    I'm not 100% sure. The 1st Raider BN took them to the Canal. In General those .22 rifles were used for rifle practice or training. But that was before and after the war. What they intended to do with them on the Canal, I don't know.

Yeah the M1911 pistol was mostly declared useless in the Pacific in the beginning of the war. The first after action reports coming off the Canal stated the m1911 really wasn't used. So right after the Marines actually looked at phasing it, as well as the .45 Sub Machine guns out. Since the Carbine was arriving in number and the carbine took the place of the pistol and sub machine guns.

The Marines figured one less caliber and less spare parts on hand to worry about. So it made sense logistics wise.

Even though they tried at first by the wars end it never happened other than the middle of the war years.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 08-16-2019 at 11:54.