Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M2 bullets

An observation concerning the maximum 3.34” OAL vs. my current 3.325” OAL. I suspect the M2 bullet’s cannelure is positioned for the maximum length of 3.34” because I noticed that it sits slightly below the case rim when the bullet is seated at 3.325” OAL and prevents me from crimping the case. The next time I reload, I’ll try to add some length and see what the OAL is when the cannelure lines up properly with the neck rim. Hopefully, it will be somewhere at or below 3.34”.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-08-2019 at 12:42.

Mec, I didn't quote all the correct statement. This is what i was referring to [QUOTE3.340" is the Max OAL for .30-06. It works out of any .30-06 rifle. Minimum OAL according to SAAMI(that came after the U.S. Ordnance Board set the dimensions), is 2.940".][/QUOTE]

I could have interpreted this statement to mean OAL (over all length) Max 3.340 and Min 2.940. I feel sure he was referring to a completed cartridge, but 2.940 can't be correct for a completed cartridge. Not nit picking but someone not familiar with the 30:06 round could be misled. Although I don't think they would.

john SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I fired 10 uncrimped rounds with my ‘03 that were reloaded with M2 bullets. First time for both. All shots were close to the aim point but all case necks were covered with black soot.

I read all I could find on other forums on the causes and what could be done to correct it. Some say crimping will help while others say there’s no need to crimp. Other possible causes: powder charge is too light, the length is too short or long, the neck was sized wrong or the primer is wrong.

The BT bullets don’t leave soot on the case necks in my other rifles (M1917 and 03A3) but I didn’t have any BTs or any of my other rifles with me to compare.

The only difference between cases with the M2s and the BTs is the bullet type and the M2s have a slightly longer length. Same powder, same primers, same cases sized with RCBS FL Dies.

I’m going to fire some of the M2s with my M1917 and some BTs with my ‘03 to see if the problem follows the bullet.

Back to the range on Monday with my ‘03 and shooting uncrimped BTs and M2s. No soot on BT case necks, soot on M2 case necks. So, is crimping the M2 case necks the next step?

Blog Entries

What is your powder? Soot is probably a result of load. Mine shoots best with upper end loads, no soot with either FB or BT.

I may have missed what the load was except for the bullet.

I’ve been using Hodgdon BL-C(2) which evidently isn’t the cleanest powder around although I can’t complain about the accuracy. Three of the four rifles I shoot are .30-06, the fourth is a .303 British.

Fire your BL-C(2) with a magnum primer, or a CCI#34, which is milspec primer for 7.62 Nato designed to fire ball powder. I've used a lot of ball powders in 30-06, they are hard to ignite compared to stick powders. I'd often get little dents in the cases from unburnt powder falling into the chamber upon extraction of the case, then the next round chambering on top of that. Switching to magnums or #34s cleared that right up. Since you're getting sooty necks, your load is relative low pressure as is, so you shouldn't have to adjust the charge and work up again, just try a few to see how it goes. On the otherhand, you might already be using magnums or #34s. In that case, go a little higher with the charge.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-13-2019 at 02:54.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Fire your BL-C(2) with a magnum primer, or a CCI#34, which is milspec primer for 7.62 Nato designed to fire ball powder. I've used a lot of ball powders in 30-06, they are hard to ignite compared to stick powders. I'd often get little dents in the cases from unburnt powder falling into the chamber upon extraction of the case, then the next round chambering on top of that. Switching to magnums or #34s cleared that right up. Since you're getting sooty necks, your load is relative low pressure as is, so you shouldn't have to adjust the charge and work up again, just try a few to see how it goes. On the otherhand, you might already be using magnums or #34s. In that case, go a little higher with the charge.
    I’m using large rifle primers but will switch to magnum or #34 primers. I see Brownells carries the #34s.

I crimped 20 necks right in the center of the M2 crimp groove and went to the range today to see if there was any difference. No change. The BL-(2) is still depositing soot on the necks but all shots were accurately placed.