Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yes it was as the article states but this was after several shot themselves or shot a hole in the seat of the car while pulling the Glock out of their holster especially in a panic. This wasn't really a fix for a weapon that has no safety but the stiff trigger apparently helped and Glock could say "it did something". Glock was about to lose a major contract with NY. The main fix was spreading the word "be careful pulling your gun out of the holster".

If the stiff trigger job was only for the transition of a DA revolver trigger pull vs an autoloader trigger a year or two would have been plenty long enough. I imagine many newer NYC cops today have never fired a revolver but yet the NY1 remains.
    If the NY1 or NY2 remains its because their admin has it bid that way. If its such a good trigger that prevents one from shooting their selves why does virtually no one else use it. Part of the NY1 initially was because of training issues going from long stroke double action revolver triggers to semi auto's with no external safety. The AD's were occurring with the NY1 from the git go. The training issue had to be sorted out. The NY2 was totally admin based. For clarity my NYPD contact retired, so I have no idea if they are still using either at this point, however, the Gen 5 will take a NY1 or NY2 so I assume they are. However, training what, thousands of people to move from revolvers to semi auto's of any make or model is a huge undertaking. Hell training one to decock the old sigs and Beretta's was a chore in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    If the NY1 or NY2 remains its because their admin has it bid that way. If its such a good trigger that prevents one from shooting their selves why does virtually no one else use it. Part of the NY1 initially was because of training issues going from long stroke double action revolver triggers to semi auto's with no external safety. The AD's were occurring with the NY1 from the git go. The training issue had to be sorted out. The NY2 was totally admin based. For clarity my NYPD contact retired, so I have no idea if they are still using either at this point, however, the Gen 5 will take a NY1 or NY2 so I assume they are. However, training what, thousands of people to move from revolvers to semi auto's of any make or model is a huge undertaking. Hell training one to decock the old sigs and Beretta's was a chore in itself.
    I didn't say the NY1 was a good trigger and neither did the article I enclosed. In fact I said "it wasn't a fix for the problem". As the article states "the stiff trigger pull affects accuracy". I don't know if other agencies use the trigger of not. Probably not. My brother was a cop at the time (not NYC) and the dept received a bulletin on this issue as it occurred to warn others. The number of accidents stated was pretty high. He retired before most agencies went to the "one caliber for all" ruling came out. This didn't make national news as most cops and departments don't like to spread the word that the cops are accidently discharging their pistol.

When I worked for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, one of my sergeants told me that he was mentoring a recruit just out of the Training Academy and the guy managed to let loose a shot from his revolver inside the police vehicle. He was never sure how he managed that feat but he said that fortunately the bullet hit something inside the door structure and never penetrated the outside skin of the vehicle. He said that they spent the rest of their shift taking the door apart, recovering the bullet and making sure that the window and locks worked properly. In spite of all the rules about reporting the use of a firearm, they never told anybody about the incident and nobody took any notice of the hole on the inside of the vehicle.