Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rookie Cop Shoots Woman

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-sho...s-daughter.amp

Is it just me or does it seem like the training these days is "shoot first and figure it out later"? Haven't they heard of pepper spray to take a dog out of the game? That cop violated one of the basic rules we teach kids in hunter safety class: be sure of your target and what is beyond it. And if he was a city kid maybe he never took hunter's safety. Anyways, welcome to the force, kid. You got your first notch in your pistol grip.
    Last edited by togor; 08-03-2019 at 09:38.

"...he was a city kid..." Wouldn't matter. New cops these days are hired more for their degree than their suitability for the job. Very, very few have ever seen a real firearm before getting hired. And then the firearm training is inadequate. I think it's something like 12 hours out of a 3 month course(for which they pay nearly 12 grand), up here.
    "...a local fire captain's daughter..." Kind of curious why the media hack thought that was important.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Many years ago @ another department a "newbie" was coming out of his cruiser and put a nice hole in the windshield! Acquired the name of "Barney Fife" from that time on. Had another shoot an instructor in the butt when the "new" Glock came on the market.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Had another shoot an instructor in the butt when the "new" Glock came on the market.
    A lot of cops have been shot by their own Glocks due to the absence of a safety. So many NYC cops shot themselves in the butt while pulling their gun from the holster that Glock developed the "New York Trigger" to prevent or lessen the chance.

https://www.glockforum.com/articles/...ypd-glocks.32/

5. Default

When firearms such as the Glock and the H&K P-7 are adopted for police use on the grounds that they are "safe" to handle.....and when police are expected to engage more in community relations than law enforcement....

Maybe the USPS needs to open up a set of training acadamies for Law Enforcement. Somehow their people know how to get from A to B to C on foot through the community without shooting anything that moves. Yes we need LEOs and yes they're the ones that run towards the sound of gunfire when the rest of us can go the other way. But for this rookie to draw and discharge like that--you won't get me to believe that something isn't seriously wrong with the way he was trained. Is it a local or national problem? I don't know but lean my guess towards the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    A lot of cops have been shot by their own Glocks due to the absence of a safety. So many NYC cops shot themselves in the butt while pulling their gun from the holster that Glock developed the "New York Trigger" to prevent or lessen the chance.

https://www.glockforum.com/articles/...ypd-glocks.32/
    The NY1 was developed to mimick their Revolver triggers. The NY2 was asked for by the brass. Ever shoot one, makes missing much easier. What happens when college boys who are inside cats refuse to listen to their veteran outside cats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-sho...s-daughter.amp

Is it just me or does it seem like the training these days is "shoot first and figure it out later"? Haven't they heard of pepper spray to take a dog out of the game? That cop violated one of the basic rules we teach kids in hunter safety class: be sure of your target and what is beyond it. And if he was a city kid maybe he never took hunter's safety. Anyways, welcome to the force, kid. You got your first notch in your pistol grip.
    The question will be how many zeros do we put on this check behind the first number.

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Maybe the USPS needs to open up a set of training acadamies for Law Enforcement. Somehow their people know how to get from A to B to C on foot through the community without shooting anything that moves. Yes we need LEOs and yes they're the ones that run towards the sound of gunfire when the rest of us can go the other way. But for this rookie to draw and discharge like that--you won't get me to believe that something isn't seriously wrong with the way he was trained. Is it a local or national problem? I don't know but lean my guess towards the latter.
    That's a pretty funny joke . . . the USPS would be the wrong people to use for any kind of training. They don't allow postal carriers to have firearms for a reason.
    - Change it back -

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    The NY1 was developed to mimick their Revolver triggers.
    Yes it was as the article states but this was after several shot themselves or shot a hole in the seat of the car while pulling the Glock out of their holster especially in a panic. This wasn't really a fix for a weapon that has no safety but the stiff trigger apparently helped and Glock could say "it did something". Glock was about to lose a major contract with NY. The main fix was spreading the word "be careful pulling your gun out of the holster".

If the stiff trigger job was only for the transition of a DA revolver trigger pull vs an autoloader trigger a year or two would have been plenty long enough. I imagine many newer NYC cops today have never fired a revolver but yet the NY1 remains.
    Last edited by Allen; 08-04-2019 at 06:27.

New cop
    Attached Images Attached Images