Thread: Trap shooters?

Default Trap shooters?

I took up Trap about 3 years ago when the 2 local rifle ranges got closed down and became hooked. I try to shoot 2 rounds a week. I use a plain Winchester auto field gun full choke. I'm thinking of trying a modified choke. I usually score around 22-23 although I've got 25 twice. I wish I would have got into this earlier!

You’ll probably do just fine with a modified choke from the 16 yard line.

It’s when you get into the longer, “handicapped” yardages, that the full choke is needed.

One should keep in mind that, due to the now-standard, one-piece wads, most shotguns “shoot ONE choke TIGHTER” than what is stamped on the barrel!

Trap shooting is fun, although probably a more expensive discipline than others.

3. Default

If you really want fun see if you can find a squad shooting doubles. Ain't very good at it, but I love it. And if you load, don't bother with duplicating 1 1/8 oz loads. I am working on the International trap load which is 24g (about13/16 oz) at almost 1500 fps. Should run a gas gun. Shotgunworld.com

22-23 breaks a round by a casual shooter with a field gun is fine shooting. Going clean is always fine shooting. Congratulations .

I'd stick with full choke for any trap. Our daughter does just fine with a 1982 vintage Rem. 870 with a modified choke, but modified isn't going to improve your scores from the 16 yard line and may hurt them if you aren't quick on the trigger. If you graduate to handicap trap a modified choke gun will be a real "handicap."
    Last edited by Art; 07-28-2019 at 09:17.