Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help with a display case

I'm trying to figure out how to mount items in a pistol case for display without using the metal mounting hardware.
    I'm thinking lucite dowls screwed in from the back???
    I'm using a single pistol display case to display a section of an arresting cable, 5-20mm linked and a 25mm casing along with a model of the ship to present to my son-in-law after his last deployment to the Gulf.
    Anyone have any experience in mounting items in a case without the metal hardware?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by duke133; 07-22-2019 at 07:02.

Got any idea of the weight of the stuff? Given that it's souvenir stuff press fit(AKA interference fit) wooden dowels will work. How big the dowels need to be will depend on the weight.
    Mind you, that stuff cries out to be mounted on spent .50 BMG cases. You can press fit those with the head stamp out and it'll be way more impressive than any dowel. Brass isn't going to bother any of the stuff either.
    Oh and the last time I bought a hunk of 1/4" thick Lexan(it's bullet proof and daft as hell but adds to the ambiance.) it was $50Cdn for a 2 ft x 2 ft sheet. Wasn't recently either.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Have you thought of using a hot glue gun?

Blog Entries

can you attach the model by putting a screw thru the back?

the idea of a 50 cal brass, or even 308 is a good one

Thanks all for your thoughts everyone. I'm going to set it up laying on a table and take a pic. The heaviest item is the section of arresting cable. It's about 8" long and heavy. The casings really don't have much weight compared to the cable. I'll post the image so my idea is clear. This will be hanging up so the cable weight is the issue. I had to buy 2 models of the ship just to complete one. Eyes, hands and fingers aren't what they used to be years back. Part of my model issue was I didn't pay attention to the scale, 1/1,200 but I got it donne and it fits. Never seen such small parts.

"...Never seen such small parts..." Built 1/100th scale tanks, etc. as a pup. Aided a great deal when I started playing with wee, tiny, firearm parts. My Boss in the gun shop said I could see with my fingers. Can barely see 'em without my 'up close' specs now.
    "...8" long and heavy..." Put it on your bathroom scale. I'm guessing it's thick in diameter too.
    Dowels come in assorted diameters. Dowels are cheap as well. A 48" x 1.25" hardwood dowel runs $5US in Home Depot. $3.98US for an inch by 48". Handy things dowels are. Plus you can paint 'em or oil finish 'em.
    Having a combination square makes drilling dead centre holes in doweling for screws, easy. This one will do nicely. https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-4...quare/19901732
    "...or even 308..." Berdan primed 7.62 cases make great drawer pulls. Scrap, otherwise.

I used to be able to handle all that tiny stuff but not any more. One thing I learned, no 1:1200 scale models. My mind says I can but that's as far as it goes any more.
    I took a pic with a possible layout but it's flat at the moment. I will need it standing/hanging. I do like the case and the hardware if I was using it for a handgun would be nice but living in the country I don't like having FA's on display, just where I can get to one if required. Being retired I hope those days are over.
    DSC_0078 compressed.jpg

Drill a few wee holes in the back and thread some monofilament fishing line(that'd probably disappear. 275 yards of 10 pound monofilament runs $4 in Bass Pro.) through to go around the cable. That'll keep it from falling onto Nimitz's deck. Ditto for the 20 and 25 mm cases. Nimitz can then sit on the bottom of the case.
    I'd be thinking on the links for the 20's, the extractor rim and probably the neck for the 25 and just around the top and bottom for the cable.
    Dowels wouldn't be right in that case.
    I had to buy a magnifying glass to read my pill bottles. Still can't see some of 'em.

Sunray,
    I was thinking of monofilament as a possibility. I have some 20lb trilene that should work. I will probably use a glue gun too as GWP suggested as a backup to the string but that cable is heavy. I might end up also using some sort of silver wire that blends in with the cable as another failsafe using your small hole idea. Those were the large items for the case that concerned me. Smaller items not shown won't be a problem. I think the glue gun would work on the ship but lyman's suggesion of a small screw through the back, predrilled, would be an additional hold point since the model will be perched at an angle as shown. I still have more planes to put on deck but not sure I want it looking like rush hour.
    Thanks again all for your ideas. Once I'm finished I'll post a pic but that will be a couple months down the line. The boss has me scheduled for other things.

You could put some wee screws on the back and just wind the wire or tie the Trilene to 'em.
    "...some sort of silver wire..." Picture hanging wire. 9 feet of SS, 100 lb, wire runs $2.84US in Walmart. I'd say everybody has wee screws, but not everybody keeps every screw they come across. snicker. Screws are cheap anyway. An eye screw might be better than a regular flat head.
    "...looking like rush hour..." Carrier decks do look like that when in port. No room downstairs for everybody.