Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would say you’re correct.

Quote Originally Posted by King carp View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess the rifle is what is called a mix master. It is in great shape. I hope it is an accurate rifle. I look forward to trying it out
    The ammo was not in original boxes. It came on stripper clips in a bandoleer.Attachment 46338
    Probably all military rifles that went through an arsenal rebuild came out with a mixture of parts. It’s totally up to you to decide whether to replace the mixed parts with original parts, or keep it the way it is. Replacement parts are just about everywhere on the internet at reasonable prices if you decide to make it original. There are purists on both ends of the question.

My Remington 03A3 had a few Smith Corona parts that were worn (extractor) or damaged (butt plate had a dented trap door and lower barrel band had stripped threads). Replacing them was an easy decision and East Coast Bluing refinished the replacement parts to match the rest of the rifle. Remington parts are stamped with “R” and SC parts are blank.

The good part about owning an 03A3 is parts from both mfrs are almost identical and only when you look closely can you see the difference. You also have to know what to look for. However, mixing 03A3 parts on a Springfield M1903 becomes an obvious appearance issue since ‘03 parts are milled and machined and 03A3 parts are stamped from sheet metal. They’ll fit on an ‘03 but look really bad.

Shooting the 03A3 should be OK if the bolt and barrel are in good condition. I had to tinker a lot with the windage adjustment on mine to finally zero the sight. The rear sight was moved to the rear of the receiver on the 03A3. It was a lesson learned from the M1917.

3. Default

Since the action and barrel and parts are Remington and the stock is S.C. i think I will leave it as is. A Remington stock in similar shape would probably cost a bundle. Then I would be searching for a mint S.C. barreled action
    I would think that the arsenal did a good proper job putting this rifle together. It should be up to specs. If it was ready to be issued to our troops it's more than good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by King carp View Post
    Since the action and barrel and parts are Remington and the stock is S.C. i think I will leave it as is. A Remington stock in similar shape would probably cost a bundle. Then I would be searching for a mint S.C. barreled action
    I would think that the arsenal did a good proper job putting this rifle together. It should be up to specs. If it was ready to be issued to our troops it's more than good enough for me.
    It’s still a good idea to check out muzzle/throat erosion and headspace since you don’t know what’s been done to the rifle since it was rebuilt. The gun shop owner may have done that prior to selling it.

The stock is in fine condition and no-one would know it’s a SC stock unless they knew what to look for.

Let us know how the rifle shoots.

5. Default

I know the rifle passed the no go gauge test. I do not know about the bore and chamber wear. I will let you know how it performs.
    Thanks again.

'https://www.fulton-armory.com/muzzleweargaugefor300-303bores.aspx

Here’s a muzzle wear gauge.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Merc; 08-01-2019 at 02:59.

7. Default

Thank you: a friend has both gages. I hope to see him and have him check the rifle for me. I mostly own krags so this is new territory for. Thanks again for your knowledge.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...FJA is an original manufacturers stamping..." Inspector not the maker. Lt. Col. Frank J. Atwood to be specific. He only worked at Remington inspecting new rifles though.
    Rummage around here. https://m1903.com/
    Col. Frank J. Atwood wasn't an inspector, and did not work at Remington. He was the commanding officer over inspection and acceptance for the Rochester Ordnance District, and his initials indicate that the weapon or whatever made in his district had been accepted by the U.S. military by his authority. His initials also appear on the Smith-Corona 03-A3, Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1 pistols, National Postal Meter M1 Carbine, binoculars made by Square-D, and the M6 knife sheath made by L&C. His initials also appear on the Model 11 Remington shotguns purchased by the military.

Civilians working for the military carried out the inspections.