Thread: Krags in WW II

Default Krags in WW II

I spent all of June and some of July in Norway, mostly Telemark, but also Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen and the fjords. Went to some of the resistance sites, including Vermork/Rjukan and the Oscarsborg forts that gave the Kriegsmarin so much grief (which I will post on sometime soon).

It was Krags vs. Mausers from April 9 to June 10 1940. There was some serious fighting, 55,000 Norwegian infantry and naval personnel and another 40,000 allies, mostly British and French, against 100,000 Germans, SS and Wehrmacht. The Norwegians were armed with the Norwegian Krag in its variations, 6.5x55, as well as Madsen SMGs and Colt machine guns. The fighting on the ground was pretty intense and there were a lot of casualties. If there was a deciding factor - well, there were two: German air superiority and armor, and the Allied withdrawal when Germany attacked France. The Norwegians had managed to keep the Germans at bay long enough to get the Royal family, the elected officials and the nation's gold reserves out of the country, and most of the merchant marine to British ports. Narvik changed hands a couple times and capital ships on both sides went to the bottom.

Without Allied support there was no way to win, so the Norwegian army negotiated. WHile negotiations were ongoing some major units defected to Sweden and were disarmed and the rest of the army disbanded, leaving most of their gear behind.

My guess is that the Krag was the main infantry rifle for the Milorg resistance, at least until British weapons started coming in by airdrop. I saw Krags and Madsens in the Resistance Museum in Oslo, even a Krag pistol.

The Krag was still in use at the Coast Artillery Academy for small arms drill and parade well into the 1970s. A few photos from the museum at Oscarsborg. Hard to tell without seeing the action and lunchbox, but those look like N Krag barrels to me.

krags_c.jpg krags_b.jpg krags_a.jpg
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 07-20-2019 at 01:10.

Thanks for the post. A country I have not studied much about as far as WWII goes. The rifles are Mausers from what I can see in the pics. The upper band and slings on the side are what I noticed.

Emri

"...The rifles are Mausers..." Definitely are in the 2 right side pictures. Mind you, reasonably reliable sources say both Norway and the occupying Germans issued Krags as late as 1943.
    Spelling and grammar count!

This is the later model 1912 Krag. I can see the target shooters/biathletes in the picture definitely have a Mauser - apparently the Germans left a lot of '98 actions behind which were used to make rifles after the war. I don't see the full-length wood on the drill rifles, either, though they may have been modified.

Thank you EMRI and Sunray for your comments

The 1912 is the Krag to get and I'm going to get me one!

Norwegian_K-J_M1912.jpg
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 07-26-2019 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    This is the later model 1912 Krag. I can see the target shooters/biathletes in the picture definitely have a Mauser - apparently the Germans left a lot of '98 actions behind which were used to make rifles after the war. I don't see the full-length wood on the drill rifles, either, though they may have been modified.

Thank you EMRI and Sunray for your comments

The 1912 is the Krag to get and I'm going to get me one!

Norwegian_K-J_M1912.jpg
    very nice rifle. thanks for posting the pics.

6. Default

Tangentially related -

A photo of the Pennsylvania Military Training Corps (a home guard unit) dated 1941, showing men doing squat drills with Krag rifles.
    The Pennsylvania National Guard had been federalized, and this organization was stood up to protect defense industries in the state.
    https://digital.library.temple.edu/d...66/default.jpg
    https://digital.library.temple.edu/d...coll3/id/16266