Thread: -12 bolt

Default -12 bolt

Just picked up a new to me Garand #721418. It has a -12 bolt with the heat lot of S-1A<>(not S-A1<>). I have not been able to locate any info regarding the time period this code was used. I'm hoping the learned experts on this forum could provide me with some information. Tried to upload photos but I'm not computer literate and haven't yet figured it out.

Mike

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by the_1st_sgt View Post
    Just picked up a new to me Garand #721418. It has a -12 bolt with the heat lot of S-1A<>(not S-A1<>). I have not been able to locate any info regarding the time period this code was used. I'm hoping the learned experts on this forum could provide me with some information. Tried to upload photos but I'm not computer literate and haven't yet figured it out.

Mike
    Records reflect that the S-A1<> was used January 1944 to March 1944

- - - Updated - - -

Records reflect the S-A1 <> Bolt was used January 1944 through March 1944.
    Deb

Thank you for the info but this is not a S-A1<>, it is a S-1A<>. Were the both used in the same time frame?

4. Default

I do think that your bolt just may be a goof up at the stamping as none of my records- which I have- do not show the heat lot of S-A1<>. You have to remember that during war time things did happen. Maybe when the stamper was at the machine he /she could have been trying for the S-11<> and missed and never caught it.
    Where did you get the Rifle, has it been shot, is it a rebuild etc. For your rifle a better Bolt would be a 12 but with a RE5B heat lot
    Deb

I bought the rifle from a friend of mine who was going to trade it in. It is mostly a parts gun, birch stock/hand guards, mixed small parts, wide base gas cylinder etc. I did a double take when I first realized the heat lot code as I have never seen any reference to S-1A<>. The stock, although birch, has a 3/8" DOD cartouche. The barrel is a SA 3-42, in the white and has an immaculate bore. The throat measures slightly over 1 and the muzzle a little more than 2.5. It has been shot repeatedly by my friend, he called it his "blaster."

The revision 12 bolts with the diamond <> stamp did not start to appear until around SA 1571899 as these receivers also
    had the diamond <> stamp too (ref Duff's WW2 book)

In my data sheets I find SA serial numbers 668895, 755630, 772909 and 856914 all with revision 12 bolts heat lot code W9B

Your 721418 would not have a bolt with the diamond <> after the heat lot code.

Thank you for the info. What threw me was the actual heat lot code on this bolt