Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Turkeys also used to be rare around here. We now have at least one large flock that wanders through our yard nearly every day outside of the breeding season.

Coyotes were also rare around here but they’ve also become common. Natures balancing act - I guess it’s a good thing.

I heard that the wild turkey was once considered for the U.S. national bird before the bald eagle. One reason, perhaps the only reason besides their size was that they were so plentiful. If driving the Natchez Trace Parkway you will see many of them
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Default

Here in NE PA I see eagles almost everyday. Have a couple on the farm and see them driving to work on a regular basis.
    And have had to wait a few times for them to get out of the road while eating.
    Always great to see them!

All I can say is I’m glad we haven’t damaged our environment to the point where it was impossible for animal and bird populations to rebound. Bald eagles are seemingly plentiful. Add an explosive state wide turkey and deer population to PA’s mix. Black bears are plentiful and one occasionally strolls through a local neighborhood. The Monongahela River in Pittsburgh that was nearly dead from mine drainage and industrial wastes in the 1970s is now home to 76 species of fish. Bassmasters had a tournament here a few years ago. Hopefully, things will continue to improve. I’m glad I lived long enough to see it.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-16-2019 at 07:08.

5. Default

Attachment 46254
    Quote Originally Posted by macPA View Post
    Here in NE PA I see eagles almost everyday. Have a couple on the farm and see them driving to work on a regular basis.
    And have had to wait a few times for them to get out of the road while eating.
    Always great to see them!
    I see them from time to time on the Lackawanna river .promised land state park has a nest on the lower lake. there is also a lot of ospreys around. here is a picture from the nest at lake wallenpaupack.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    Attachment 46254

I see them from time to time on the Lackawanna river .promised land state park has a nest on the lower lake. there is also a lot of ospreys around. here is a picture from the nest at lake wallenpaupack.
    We also have a small osprey population on Pymatuning Lake. They seem to prefer nesting on the platforms that the state put up. I also see them nesting on tops of cell phone towers and electric power polls. Their nests are a lot smaller than the bald eagle’s nest. We don’t see them fishing much on Pymatuning compared to the bald eagles but we have observed them in Florida where they are more common. They’re really good at catching fish and always fly with the fish’s head facing into the direction they’re flying. Less drag makes it easier to fly. I’ve watched them dive into the water for fish and still have enough wing power to get airborne and shake off the water while flying away with the fish.

Anyone who travels Florida’s Interstate 75 has driven past a rest stop near Sarasota. The rest stop has about 10 or more tall light posts and each one has an osprey’s nest built on top of the lights.