Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A big bald eagle comeback

If you pull up a map of Pennsylvania, you’ll see a big hook-shaped reservoir that straddles the PA-OH border about 40 miles south of Lake Erie. It’s Pymatuning Lake/State Park and the lake covers more than 17,000 acres, is 16 miles long, 1.5 miles at its widest point and has about 70 miles of shoreline. About 1/4 of it is in Ohio.

My summer home is nearby and this is where we hunt, fish and boat.

The bald eagle has a major presence on the shores of the lake. There could be as many as 20 to 40 nesting pairs on the lake and all are potentially producing an average of two eaglets per year. They can have a life span of 30 years. Eagles were scarce here 20 years ago. Now, they seem to be everywhere. We often go boating after dinner to search for them. Last night, we covered four miles of southern shoreline and saw eight eagles. Three were adults and five were juveniles. We covered a different area last week and saw ten eagles. Six were adults and four were juveniles. We watch them snatch fish during the day but they mostly perch in the evening.

The lake is an ideal habitat for eagles. Lots of wooded shoreline with tall mature trees for nesting and a big lake for fish, gulls, ducks and geese.

6F14A7E3-339B-41DA-AAAB-DE8B36654A60.jpg F937A954-AFD0-425C-906B-B2521850581C.jpg

Here are two adults and their two fledged eaglets.

They like to perch in the tops of dead trees along the shore where they can easily see in all directions. It makes them easy to spot from a boat. They used to be very shy and would fly away when approached. Now, if approached slowly, they mostly just sit quietly looking at us as we look at them.

Bald Eagles have not inhabited my area for many, many years. Two years ago, an adult stopped traffic at an intersection while it killed and ate a gray squirrel in the middle of the road. Last year, I watched as a pair of juveniles killed and ate two of my wife's favorite chickens, under the watchful eye of their mom. Regards, Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    Bald Eagles have not inhabited my area for many, many years. Two years ago, an adult stopped traffic at an intersection while it killed and ate a gray squirrel in the middle of the road. Last year, I watched as a pair of juveniles killed and ate two of my wife's favorite chickens, under the watchful eye of their mom. Regards, Clark
    They are birds of prey and will kill to survive.

They are extremely strong and have no fear when it comes to food taking on pray many times their size and weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WroMlDqTRs&t=3s

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    If you pull up a map of Pennsylvania, you’ll see a big hook-shaped reservoir that straddles the PA-OH border about 40 miles south of Lake Erie. It’s Pymatuning Lake/State Park and the lake covers more than 17,000 acres, is 16 miles long, 1.5 miles at its widest point and has about 70 miles of shoreline. About 1/4 of it is in Ohio.

My summer home is nearby and this is where we hunt, fish and boat.

The bald eagle has a major presence on the shores of the lake. There could be as many as 20 to 40 nesting pairs on the lake and all are potentially producing an average of two eaglets per year. They can have a life span of 30 years. Eagles were scarce here 20 years ago. Now, they seem to be everywhere. We often go boating after dinner to search for them. Last night, we covered four miles of southern shoreline and saw eight eagles. Three were adults and five were juveniles. We covered a different area last week and saw ten eagles. Six were adults and four were juveniles. We watch them snatch fish during the day but they mostly perch in the evening.

The lake is an ideal habitat for eagles. Lots of wooded shoreline with tall mature trees for nesting and a big lake for fish, gulls, ducks and geese.

6F14A7E3-339B-41DA-AAAB-DE8B36654A60.jpg F937A954-AFD0-425C-906B-B2521850581C.jpg

Here are two adults and their two fledged eaglets.

They like to perch in the tops of dead trees along the shore where they can easily see in all directions. It makes them easy to spot from a boat. They used to be very shy and would fly away when approached. Now, if approached slowly, they mostly just sit quietly looking at us as we look at them.

i'm from the other side of the state. along the upper Delaware there are quite a few eagles all year long. at least as long as the river is open in the winter.

Around here, the eagles begin nesting activities during the winter months and usually start laying eggs in February. They feed on all available birds, small animals (including pets), fish and roadkill. They aren’t picky eaters.

Friend sent a picture last week of six eagles perched in a dead tree. On the back side of his farm the water had been up and as it was dropped out the eagles were catching fish.

I will never forget the first Bald Eagle I saw in the wild. It was in 1984 in North Dakota. Now I can see them in my community of Kingwood Texas. They have arrived here recently. I think see the Bald Eagle is a wonder sight to behold.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Friend sent a picture last week of six eagles perched in a dead tree. On the back side of his farm the water had been up and as it was dropped out the eagles were catching fish.
    That must have been a fascinating sight to see, especially for those of us who are old enough to remember how close DDT came to wiping them out. They have evidently become a fairly common bird in many locations and they seem to be thriving which still amazes us.

10. Default

Attachment 46247
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    especially for those of us who are old enough to remember how close DDT came to wiping them out.
    yes sir. when I was younger it was a rare thing to see a hawk in my area. and if you wanted to hunt turkeys you were in for a ride.
    now I have them in my yard