Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Preserving old black and white pictures

My father found a bunch of black and white pictures my grandfather took/got while on Saipan as a Marine Rifleman. Well most have Saipan written on back. Some are from training I think. He can be seen kneeling beside Nambu machine gun while it appears an NCO is giving him instructions. We also found his draft notice and separation papers. What is the best way to preserve this stuff in a photo album.

The smaller pictures are faded but still viewable. These small pictures are from his camera. He has a set that are numbered and have a stamp on back approving them from a censor. These might be official file photos for all I know.

It his pictures are several of a crashed four engine airplane which is on fire. There is also pics of a burned out PBY.

Blog Entries

may want to check with a local camera shop,

we had one that offered restoration and digitizing services for old photographs here in RVA,

not sure it they, or anyone, still does,

at minimum, I would scan in each, photo's and paperwork

Thxs much.

Those digitizing services the same as putting 'em on a CD?
    Absolutely scan 'em. Mind you, scanners come with their own soft ware that isn't compatible with anything else. Not a big deal as you can download a program called CutePDF that converts any file to a .pdf with no fuss. When installed you just click on Print and select it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Archiving is an important topic. So far the juice has managed to stay on, so we allow ourselves to believe that information stored digitally is "forever". However, if the juice ever goes out, then that stuff is gone. At that point we will have an archive of our civilization that extends right up to the edge of the digital age, after which everything disappears. That should make for quite a puzzle for the the archeologists of the future as they dig through the detritus of our world.

For the physical photos there are acid free photo boxes which will preserve the images. Put that in your fire resistant gun safe.

Scan the photos on as high-resolution as your scanner can muster. Photos at 300 dpi are good for printing, but higher resolution allows you to even enlarge the photo. Adobe Photoshop to adjust levels, if needed. Save as a digital file.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by pcox View Post
    For the physical photos there are acid free photo boxes which will preserve the images. Put that in your fire resistant gun safe.
    I found the acid free boxes. I thought there was a clear acid free cover one could put the photos in so they could be viewed and stay in it, but I didn’t find anything of the sort searching the internet.

Exposure to sun light will cause photos to fade. Keep them in a dark place away from sunlight. If you want to frame and display them, replace the frame glass with one that’s resistant to UV light. Frame shops should be able to provide them.

The cameras that took those really small photos were old in the 1940s. Their sluggish shutters often overexposed the film.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    I found the acid free boxes. I thought there was a clear acid free cover one could put the photos in so they could be viewed and stay in it, but I didn’t find anything of the sort searching the internet.
    check comic book shops, or supplies

my very meager collection has acid free backer boards, and clear poly sleeves, (no damage from the sleeves)

I cannot remember if the boxes (cardboard storage) are acid free on not