Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Target shooting with my M1917

I took my M1917 to the range the other day for some target practice and shot my favorite rifle at my favorite target - round paper plates. From a rack, I shot 12 rounds of M2 150 grain flat based bullets at two targets 100 yards away with a 7 MPH cross wind and all 12 bullets hit the target.

I like shooting at paper plates because they seem to stand out better to these old eyes than any of the other targets I’ve tried.

E69891D5-2F19-4EFF-B056-552F60BDFEF7.jpg
    Last edited by Merc; 07-10-2019 at 05:54.

Blog Entries

You did well...paper plate = minute of man, what it was originally ontended for.

M-1917 was the rifle that the doughboys used to win WWI. Without it, the doughboys would likely have ended up with a hodge podge of whatever was available. Just about ideal for the field. Superior sights, rugged action, excellent trigger, just about ideal. Give your rifle a go w/ some 180 gr. flat based spritzers. When I was shooting a 1917, I found that the longer shank of the bullet and the flat base allowed me to shoot better groups. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

4. Default

Glad to see I’m not the only one who prefers paper plate targets. I use them almost exclusively. Cheap, available, and if you’re hitting them...good enough!

I’m thinking a “fringe benefit” of using paper plates for targets is . . . .
    When you are finished shooting . . . .and the picnic is about to start . . .
    Those holes provide drainage for the delicious, greasy hamburgers!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    M-1917 was the rifle that the doughboys used to win WWI. Without it, the doughboys would likely have ended up with a hodge podge of whatever was available. Just about ideal for the field. Superior sights, rugged action, excellent trigger, just about ideal. Give your rifle a go w/ some 180 gr. flat based spritzers. When I was shooting a 1917, I found that the longer shank of the bullet and the flat base allowed me to shoot better groups. Sincerely. bruce.
    I’m going to try the 180s. Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I’d try the M2 150s FMJFB since they were the original military .30-06 bullets. This was the first time I had the opportunity to shoot the M2s and I’m happy with the results. I’m going to shoot them again this week along with six Hornady commercial 150 gr FMJBTs and see if there’s any difference in accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Snowstorm View Post
    Glad to see I’m not the only one who prefers paper plate targets. I use them almost exclusively. Cheap, available, and if you’re hitting them...good enough!

Thanks for letting me be the host of your number one posting.

Plain white paper plates stand out better to me as targets. The bullet holes on a plain white surface show up well through my spotting scope. I’ve tried marked targets before but the bullet holes often got lost in the printing.

I’m sure that the rifle sight is close to zero since some of the bullets are hitting nearly dead center and it’s usually the initial bullet. I have the adjustable sight at its lowest possible setting and, when aiming, I place the target right behind the upper tip of the foresight blade. I shoot from a Caldwell rack that jumps around a lot from recoil after each shot which requires target re-acquisition and re-positioning the rifle on the rack. This is probably the reason that all subsequent shots aren’t grouping as well. I’ll try a few things next time out to see if any improvements are possible. Barrel temperature may have some roll as well.

I will have to try that!

I have tried the LYamn Eye Pal (?) stick on peep. It works well with the 1917 peep and I can see to shoot at 100 yards with it on a 1 inch size.

Issue is they don't stay sticking and I need to get a pair of glasses with large lens so I can grab those. I will get something cheap frame wise, vision is not critical, I have shot it with goggles and the Stick on taped to it though its awkward and not as good a sight picture.

The electrostatic cling only works a short time.

Yes you can make your own but the key to a peep working is sharp edges and this is close to impossible without a machine doing it.

I love your suggestion of using paper plates as targets instead of that black circle against a tan/brown section of paper.

Blog Entries

The backer on the target frame is usually shot to pieces, so I take a roll of brown wrapping paper and staple it to/over the backer so there is an unmarked surface. I always post at least 3 smallbore 50 yd targets, or 10 paper plates. Easier to tell my hits and those pistol rounds that get bounced into it. After 50 yds, the extraneous holes seem to go away. At 100 yd any holes other than mine, are there intentionaly, or by inattentive shooters that don't know how to stay on their own target.