1. Default SN Check on NRA Sporter

I have a chance to buy what looks like an NRA sporter. The serial number is 1407089. I would really appreciate it if someone could check that number for me. The receiver has the slight radius on the front edge, Lyman 48 receiver sight, Star mark on muzzle, no sight grooves on barrel and serial number etched on bolt under the extractor. Unfortunately it looks like someone thinned down and reshaped the buttstock. They also replaced the buttplate with a 3/4” solid aluminum one and added a thick aluminum grip cap. If it’s real what kind of value would it have?
    Thanks E7DF2A31-69C9-486C-8EEF-38D754FD7169.jpgD44616AF-2220-446B-97B7-2F2349113268.jpg
    Thanks
    Steve

Your number in the SRS list:

1407089 SPT 03/27/34 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

If you want more information, you will have to apply to SRS and pay for a letter ( which in this case will only show the name of the person sold to originally ). It would appear that your rifle has been reblued in addition to the stock alterations. I bought a listed NRA Sporter on Gun Broker a few years ago for $900.00, but the Lyman 48 receiver sight was missing the part that hold the eye piece and the stock had been cut. In my opinion, the rifle would be worth $1,000.00...maybe a little more. I see some nice original NRA Sporters listed for $2,500.00, but I don't think many are selling at that price.

3. Default

Thanks for the information. I don’t think it has been reblued. Everything is very crisp and sharp on it. The pictures that I posted came through kind of blurry and small and make it look bad. I was kind of thinking about the same on value. In the $1000 to $1200 range is what I thought. Since I can get it for less than half of that I’ll probably pick it up. Did you find the sight part for yours?
    Thanks
    Steve

4. Default

http://

Here is a better picture.
    Last edited by sdh600; 07-03-2019 at 12:30. Reason: Add text

I have an 03 that's not too far away. Sorry about all the grease but this one is one of my favorite shooters.

Last edited by nf1e; 07-04-2019 at 02:38.

Blog Entries

Condition is important but I think it would be worth Much more than $1,200.00 if unmodified, original finish and good condition. Prices seem to have
    declined recently on NRA Sporters. The serial number of the rifle should be etched on the bottom of the bolt. Serial numbers in the range of the subject
    rifle would be on the bottom of the bolt. The bolt must be removed from the rifle and the extractor rotated 90 degrees to see it. A non-matching
    numbered bolt will reduce the collector value substantially.
    Last edited by Herschel; 07-04-2019 at 07:02.

Non original Smith Corona bolt sleeve.. The electro pencil etching is very suspect.

Ref: Electrical pencil nbrs. ..

It appears that the electro pencil nbrs. were there and someone tried to enhance them...........

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 07-09-2019 at 04:16.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

It is my understanding that the last barrel change was done in the 70s and the builder put the second electropencil mark on at that time. I have had the rifle for many years and it came to me that way. Not posting for anything other than the serial number group. I am not a collector , only a shooter and I have put 7500 rnds through this rifle since I received it and it is still shooting pretty well. Reserve barrel has been on the shelf now for 40 years.