Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore Sighters

Default Bore Sighters

I have about talked myself out of buying and using these but would be interested in discussion and experiences from you guys.

The obvious pro's would be of saving ammo and the device would pay for itself especially on guns that use expensive or scarce ammo. Another pro I see would be not having to go the range and something you could use in your yard if you live in a residential area where discharging a firearm is illegal.

Cons that I can imagine is: how accurate is the alignment? In reading about the best bore sighter reviews the universal types are favored but those pictured are kind of bulky and the bolt can't be closed. To me this would seem to be a pain on certain semi autos. Other cons speak of extremely short battery life and some that don't have on and off switches. The most common seem to be those made for a specific caliber and I would have to believe these would fit more snug but again there's the cons and these don't seem to be stamped with a manufacturer's mark so you can't compare one brand to another.

Experience's or opinions?

i have a chamber insert for 308 that was given to me. It works fine (will get you on paper at 100 yards) but I have always been able to bore sight by eye and get on paper (bolt guns). If your shooting bolt guns and have a good eye, I would spend the money on ammo. The muzzle insert type are problematic if you forget to remove them before shooting live ammo, no personal experience, but saw some neat pics in armores school. Good luck regardless.

I use a "lazerlyte" muzzle inserted one. Works great. Come by the shop and I'll show it to you and tell you how to be super accurate with it.

Emri

"...battery life..." Only ever used one that did not use batteries at all. Forget the brand though. Bushnell, I think. Wasn't recently. Like this. https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-7433.../dp/B0002LWWBW
    Anyway, a bore sighter is for truing a scope so you will at least be on paper. They're pretty much the only way other than literally looking through the barrel at something(like a street light) and moving the reticle. That does not allow you to be sure the vertical is perfectly straight up and down. Laser chamber boresighters(those are cartridge specific and pricey. About $30 each at Cabela's USA.) don't do that at all.
    The arbor style bore sighter will tell you if a scope is damaged too. Watched the horizontal bounce left and right every time I cycled the action on a Tasco scope I had through one. Chamber boresighters won't do that either.
    The only serious 'con' is that none of the arbor style bore sighters work well when you have high rings. Don't think they work well with some rifles, like AR's, either.
    However, you still need to finish sighting in on a range with any of 'em.
    Spelling and grammar count!

This is what i have had it for years it was my dads works great

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-7433...ateway&sr=8-38

6. Default

A good practice is to remove the bolt when using a bore sighter, remove the bore sighter THEN reinstall the bolt.

Blog Entries

I have not used the cartridge type,
    have used the insert in muzzle type,

they do ok, as in get you on the paper at a specified distance, but you still need to use a few rounds to finalize,

I've not used one on the range, just simply set up in the garage or deck and sight in on something in the distance,

Blog Entries

Just look through the barrel. Oh, that would be the chamber end Allen.

If you need a laser, you're doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 06-25-2019 at 04:40.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

It's "breech" not breach smarty.