Thread: Cz 98/22

Default Cz 98/22

I am going to look at a cz 98/22 in a couple of days . I have no previous experience with this model. What markings should I look for? What parts should have serial numbers that I would check to see if they match? Would $550 be too high if it is in very good condition? Any help would be appreciated.
    "In God We Trust"

2. Default

I have 2 CZ22 rifles, both are stamped 22 for the year 1922, both have the long barrel. The 23 went to the short barrel. I have never hesitated when choosing an action for a build when using the Bruno. The receiver is a large shank/large diameter receiver.

F. Guffey

And then there is the argument: is it a CZ or a VZ.
    Last edited by fguffey; 06-07-2019 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerusp45 View Post
    I am going to look at a cz 98/22 in a couple of days . I have no previous experience with this model. What markings should I look for? What parts should have serial numbers that I would check to see if they match? Would $550 be too high if it is in very good condition? Any help would be appreciated.
    In my opinion, any complete, functioning Mauser built by a reputable factor with a clean bore with sharp rifling and no rust pitting that headspaces ok would be worth $500.00 - $550.00. If the numbers also match the price would go up some. If it had all or almost all of the original finish the price would go up a good bit more.

20 years ago I bought an all matching nearly pristine Yugo M 48 for just under $300.00 drive out with the bayonet, scabbard, bayonet frog, cartridge carrier, sling and cleaning kit (there was also a CETME bayonet in the box .) That was then though. All good quality milsurps are getting more expensive and Mausers (especially Mausers) are no exception. Oh, the Yugo will shoot. Yesterday I took it to the range and even with the sorry Mauser sights I was able to shoot a 3 3/4" and 4 1/4" groups at 200 yards using some very geriatric Romanian ball ammo. That was from a rest of course on a calm day. I don't shoot it that well every day, I'll admit; must have been holding my mouth right.
    Last edited by Art; 06-19-2019 at 04:48.

4. Default

both are stamped 22 for the year 1922, both have the long barrel. The 23 went to the short barrel
    Forgive, the 22 and 23 had long barrels, the short barrel came out in 24.

F. Guffey