Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New setup

Default New setup

Since taking over the wife's room I have been redoing the room [among other irons in the fire] while continuing to reload. Want to show a couple of things for those who use Dillon. I have one of Mike's early 550B and just added a different spent primer system that I purchased from E-Bay. I have always hated the cup that came with the machine with primers popping out and the constant dumping of primers. I purchased an attachment that replaces the cup with a 4 foot plastic tube attached. I get free buckets with lids from Kroger's for my reloading stuff. Using plumbers metal clamps I attached the tube to the front of my bench and into the bucket, much easier. While I was ill I watch a great deal of DIY on You Tube, one was for the swagger. I attached a return spring to it and I can process about 600 an hour with ease. The case flips off the shaft into a bin that sets next to my bench. Now I am looking @ powered case trimmers as my Lyman is too slow for the amount of rifle brass that I need to do.
    Samswager.jpg550.jpg

Blog Entries

glad to see I am not the only one with a junky reloading table!!!

My day usually starts around 0430-2230 with a lot to do! Right now I am redoing the room that use to be my wife's quilting/sewing room. I am building two more tables and putting up peg boards above the planned tables. One table for gunsmithing, the other for sizing bullets and for processing brass. I enjoy going to my reloading room, turn on my stereo and just relax doing reloading. This is my escape to my reality away from all that I get to do for the house.
    Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    It's bad enough with the three service rifle calibers I'm doing now.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    If you don't have EVERYTHING in front of you how will you find it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If you don't have EVERYTHING in front of you how will you find it?
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in my "collection" I have a copy of the American Rifleman from 1941 with an article and picture of the gunsmith Pope @ his bench...figured I would pattern mine after his. As a youngster I grew up admiring a friend of my father and used his range a great deal. The Man was Bill Large, for those who don't know Bill was a founding member of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. Bill also made all the rifles used in the movie Sgt. York. Bill had a huge shop to make barrels in, @ the end of his shop was an enormous stone fireplace with rocking chairs, his place reeked of oil and knowledge. Bill had several benches to work off performing his "magic" and each bench had tools scattered about that he could reach when he wanted to.
    Sam

How about other's showing your reloading setup. I could use some more ideas to swipe, I mean "borrow" from.
    Sam

65_01-MB-Bill-Large-barrels-ad.jpg
    This was Bill's card that he always used, he had 4 daughter's and no sons. The locks were made for him by Bob Roller, a heck of a talented machinist and story teller of old. Bill had a grandson that he doted on and wanted to teach what Bill knew, the boy was more interested in fast cars and women. One day I walked into the shop and Bill was upset. He had just been to the range shooting his .45 [done up by F. Bob Chow] and was upset @ the Remington Match that he had. He had two cases of the stuff and told me to take it home and fix it, so I did. I told Bill I was having problems with my 10/22 as the front sight kept getting in the way of the scope that I had on it. Bill said that he could fix that and proceeded to lop off the front sight and redo the crown. This improved my hitting ability as he said that the end of the barrel wasn't square enough.
    Bill was reworking an original Hawkins rifle that he said would take about two years, that rifle was in pretty good condition for it's age. I liked how it came up to my shoulder and wished the rifle could talk. Hanging above one of his benches was a star gauged M1903 National Match that he use to shoot and in his "gun cupboard" was a consecutive set of SAA silver plated, ivory handled 44/40's in pristine condition! Last I heard that Bill's shop had been sold to a gunsmith in Indiana who had been after the family to sell Bill's tools to him for many years.
    Sam

10. Default

How about other's showing your reloading setup. I could use some more ideas to swipe, I mean "borrow" from.
    Sam
    I tried that, after posting pictures no one would speak to me. I believe I told you about taking pictures I posted of my gages, the picture weighed 700 pounds. And then when it comes to benches; I use stands.

F. Guffey