Default RE: Remington 742 autoloader - lubrication question...

Helping a neighbor, who was given a five digit SN REMINGTON 742.

What lube is best for the gas system, dry like a M14/M1A or light dab of "never-seize"?

Clean the gas tube/ port with pipe cleaner with hoppe's or old "shooter's choice"???

What else to inform my neighbor? He will use OTC ammo, no reloads.

Thanks.
    JHR

Haven't ever, in any semi-auto, lubed the gas system. Any kind of petroleum based lube will produce great big clouds of smoke.
    What solvent you use makes no difference.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

I know a guy that runs a local gunsmith shop,

he makes a good living working on 742/740/7400's

seems they run like a top if you keep the action clean, and lubed,
    (not the gas piston),

and a lot of folks don't keep them clean

he has no preference on lube, just don't use WD40

4. Default

Cycle four to six hundred hunters every season at the range for sight in. Couple of those things every year.

Keep the chamber clean. Tough to do. Replace the spring on the gas system every couple of years. Clean the gas system, the magazine tube and replace the o-rings or whatever is on the piston, I think it's o-rings like an 1100. Clean all the stuff out of the trigger group and bolt. No WD-40 anywhere.
    Amazingly some of those are very accurate.

Never owned one. Did work w/ one for a church member. It was a .30-06. Fine fine rifle! After a little bit of fiddling it would produce 1.5 inch five shot groups time after time. Never gave a minutes trouble feeding, firing or ejecting. Any common factory ammo was just fine. Sighted it in using my handholds since they were far cheaper than the factory ammo. Rifle shot 1.5 MOA. With Remington or Winchester ammo ... shot the same 1.5 MOA. Church member was a pharmacist. Real big deer hunter. He and that 742 were extremely effective harvesting run of the mill deer as well as the really big heavy horned stuff. The little 742 w/ the 18 inch barrel is really nice. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."