Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Hamilton School Restoration, Virginia

Off Topic??

This field school was built in 1823. It's in the South Buffalo Creek valley in Rockbridge County, Virginia. Active from construction until just before WWII. We have formed a committee and are setting about to restore the old structure. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. I have been tasked with laying a new foundation under the old structure, which has been lifted 18" above original height and a footer poured. The original cabin rested on four stones.

I am using stones from an old barn foundation. Layery, large limestones. I am doing good tight fitment, but battering the build and jagging things in and out to create a rustic look. This is a volunteer undertaking on my part.

Here are the first two foundation panels.

DSC01778.jpg

Hope this is not intrusive. I'll update with a completion shot in a few weeks.

Pete Davis
    Last edited by PeteDavis; 06-04-2019 at 05:53.

Blog Entries

Do you have a website outlining the building or your restoration work?

Looks like a structure worth saving.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

3. Default

No website really.

http://historiclexington.org/histori...-preservation/

I have been pretty inactive for a year. Feels good to get some of my chops back.

PD

\
    Last edited by PeteDavis; 06-04-2019 at 06:09.

Looks like a worthy project.

Old time schools are always interesting. As small as they were they planted a little seed.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDavis View Post
    Off Topic??

This field school was built in 1823. It's in the South Buffalo Creek valley in Rockbridge County, Virginia. Active from construction until just before WWII. We have formed a committee and are setting about to restore the old structure. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. I have been tasked with laying a new foundation under the old structure, which has been lifted 18" above original height and a footer poured. The original cabin rested on four stones.

I am using stones from an old barn foundation. Layery, large limestones. I am doing good tight fitment, but battering the build and jagging things in and out to create a rustic look. This is a volunteer undertaking on my part.

Here are the first two foundation panels.

DSC01778.jpg

Hope this is not intrusive. I'll update with a completion shot in a few weeks.

Pete Davis
    BEAUTIFUL!
    Sam

A lot of work on your part, nice job Pete.

Pete all your work is beautiful, thanks for showing us over the years.
    kurt

9. Default

Panel C

DSC01819.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]46053[/ATTACH

PD

Blog Entries

curious,

did you number them in any way when removed from the barn location so you would be able to replace them in a similar pattern (adjusting for size of course)??

or just load them up and freehand them in the new location?