Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default WWI Stevens Model 520 Trench Gun Prototype

Hello everyone,
    I’m posting this here and on Gun Boards, the pictures show up larger over there for some reason.
    I’ve got something very interesting to share today that not many have seen. It’s what I believe is one of the WWI Stevens 520 trench gun prototypes. This is not my gun, the owner approached me to verify its authenticity. It was acquired recently from the estate sale of a relative of a prominent WWII general. I’ve gotten opinions from several noted military shotgun authorities and the consensus is that while it cannot be authenticated without convincing documentation (which it doesn’t have at this time), it certainly has the characteristics one would expect to see on a prototype from this era. It differs slightly in the shape of the buttstock and the bayonet bracket/heat shield from the known pictures of one of the prototypes. Thomas Swearengen gives a very detailed description of these in The World’s Fighting Shotguns and also claims that several were submitted to the War Dept in 1918 for consideration. It would not be unusual for multiple prototypes to have varying design differences for evaluation. This shotgun conforms closely to Swearengen’s description especially the two piece heat shield/bayonet bracket, design of the sling swivels, rifle front sight, metal butt plate, and commercial finish.

I research and collect Stevens Model 520s and based on serial numbers and design changes that I’ve observed I speculated that a prototype Model 520 trench gun would have the following:
    1) A serial number in the mid 60k range.
    2) An angled slide release button on the trigger housing instead of the earlier round button on the receiver.
    3) An inertial recoil block mounted to the receiver instead of the later trigger housing mounted block.
    4) I expected it to be marked “J Stevens Arms Co” after the 1 July 1916 company name change.

This gun conforms with the first three assumptions. I’m not overly worried about the gun being marked “J Stevens Arms & Tool Co”. I have observed the new name as low as S/N 64530 and the old name as high as S/N 68239. Lots of overlap and Stevens shut down almost all civilian firearms production in 1915 so they could start building Mosin-Nagant rifles for Imperial Russia. It was only after the Bolsheviks defaulted on payment that Stevens tried other options, like these prototype trench guns, most likely with what they had already on hand.

So enough background and history, here’s the gun in question.

AC3599C6-F74C-462E-8130-EB385C83C92D.jpg

8DA3560C-B397-48E6-913C-BC7700E12F09.jpg

4F102752-BB99-4DC8-8470-4B519F4A6465.jpg

B89D52EA-D914-4D18-81C6-3280C8B04B71.jpg

4C0B9B95-6AA3-4782-B516-C81202640110.jpg
    Last edited by Keydet92; 06-13-2019 at 06:14.
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

2. Default

Maybe

Blog Entries

Interesting shotgun . Thank you for sharing.

4. Default

I'm pretty confident that it is the real deal. Without practically any information on these including photos, I think it would be very difficult to make something like this up. It does look very much like the one depicted in Swearengen's book and Bruce Canfield's book on US military shotguns. And in discussing it with a fellow collector who knew a couple of employees at Savage Stevens, there apparently were a few of these prototypes still in the company's inventory several years ago.

There is a location at the Archives that has pics of some of the submitted trial shotguns.

I went back and looked in my records hoping I might have pics of it, but I unfortuanetly don't. I do have that location and if I were you, I might send Andrew in and have him poke around there again. Just to make sure something wasn't missed.

But it has pics of at least a half dozen or more trial shotguns.

There were some real frankensteins in there like this. I'm not sure if these pics are known or not. I don't have the book referenced above to know what they have published.

6. Default

Really neat picture! I assume you’re talking about the National Archives in DC or one of the repositories in Maryland? I’d love to go check it out and see if there are any pictures of the Stevens guns. Let me know where you found these.
    James,

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Keydet92 View Post
    Really neat picture! I assume you’re talking about the National Archives in DC or one of the repositories in Maryland? I’d love to go check it out and see if there are any pictures of the Stevens guns. Let me know where you found these.
    James, the photo posted by cplnorton is from the National Archives. There are several more photos there of both accepted and rejected shotguns. So far I’ve not been able to find one of the Stevens prototype.

8. Default

Thanks Steve,
    Has anyone tried a trip to Savage to see what’s in the historical vault? Will they entertain visitors on research missions?
    I know that John Callahan, the Savage historian retired. Do you know if anyone replaced him?
    Last edited by Keydet92; 06-13-2019 at 07:40.
    James,

Are you thinking of going in yourself?

These are at College Park MD.

I would personally send in someone like Andrew. His costs aren't bad and he is familiar with the way the archives work.