Default Breakfast this A.M.

breakfast 1.jpg
    Have given up on cooking in kitchen #1 to prepare all of our meals in my summer kitchen, this was our breakfast today. Outside temp was 60F with a gentle breeze blowing and fog off in the distance. In the quiet of the morning I can hear the stillness of the day, off in the distance a horse sounds and cattle moo. Last night I did cheese burgers with home fries and caramelized onions. If I need to boil anything I use the side burner on my grill, I never realized how nice life can be. Living where I do it is like being on a permeant vacation and I love it. Several lakes locally with good fishing, abundant hunting and best of all peace and quiet. @night from my roof I can see a million stars, looking into the vastness of the God's Universe and back into time. Light from some of those stars are just reaching my eyes from millions of years ago. What I am seeing might not be there now. Next year I am going to build a platform, a "Captain's walk" so that I can just enjoy myself at night, who needs T.V.?
    Sam

Having a near visit with the grim reaper it appears you appreciate everything around you and consider every new day a gift. We should all feel that way and not notice things till we realize we may never see them again. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

In all honesty Sam, that yellow stuff on the griddle doesn't look too appetizing judging by the picture.

Just an FYI, since you like to grow things, I have found the best and cheapest drip saucers when growing things in containers (placed under the pots). I go to Dollar Tree and buy plastic 7qt oil change tubs. I use them mostly to water plants from the bottom w/o drowning them.

The "yellow" had just been placed on about 30 sec. and I had not added the "magic" ingredients. Some mornings I will put on sliced mushrooms/onions, when almost done I will place on the whipped eggs. I then add shredded cheese and then fold over. One flip, 30 sec. more and then plate, garnish with chopped fresh green onions that we grow. I also do "fry bread", take several slices of bread and coat with butter then place butter side down. 45 sec. to plate with the rest of the food. Some mornings bacon, ham, sausage or ever ground beef patties. I also like to do a thin steak as well for breakfast. Cooking/baking are one of my many hobbies to do, the one my family most appreciates. My heart attack special is to grill two patties of beef, one patty of sausage. When done I place the sausage between the beef adding a slice of Colby cheese, cover the special with a metal dome to let the cheese melt. Serve this with home fries and a slice of dill wedge pickle.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    My heart attack special is to grill two patties of beef, one patty of sausage. When done I place the sausage between the beef adding a slice of Colby cheese, cover the special with a metal dome to let the cheese melt. Serve this with home fries and a slice of dill wedge pickle.
    Sam
    Speaking of "heart attack special". When I worked at the refinery most everyone had a turn at cooking for the others especially on weekends. A couple of co-workers made the best corn bread ever. I use to have the recipe but recall it having 21 ingredients.

It all began using a very large cast iron skillet (20"-24") frying chopped up bacon. When the bacon was done the batter was poured in (no draining). The batter consisted of corn meal of course, milk (probably butter milk), chopped link sausage, sliced jalapeno peppers, eggs, chives, flour, canned corn, canned cream corn, diced onions, shredded cedar cheese and other ingredients that I have forgotten then baked in the oven.

One slice was a meal.
    Last edited by Allen; 06-01-2019 at 02:25.

5. Default

Sounds a lot like this: https://community.today.com/foodclub...nbread-skillet

(Bacon) Grease is kinda the basis of cornbread, as it provides the oil to free the cornbread from the cast iron skillet it was cooked in.

I was recently introduced to this, which is similar, but has a basis of tater tots, rather than cornbread: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...man-breakfast/

Both of these recipes are nearly infinitely variable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gpw_42 View Post
    Sounds a lot like this: https://community.today.com/foodclub...nbread-skillet

(Bacon) Grease is kinda the basis of cornbread, as it provides the oil to free the cornbread from the cast iron skillet it was cooked in.

I was recently introduced to this, which is similar, but has a basis of tater tots, rather than cornbread: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...man-breakfast/

Both of these recipes are nearly infinitely variable.
    we do a similar version every once and a while

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...parsley-salad/

Default How to live longer

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    we do a similar version every once and a while

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...parsley-salad/
    Eat breakfast like a King, eat lunch like a prince, eat dinner like a pauper.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Have noticed something odd when fixing vegetables. Use to steam them, now we pre cook in the microwave for about two minutes, then I finish them on the grill with a little oil and seasoning. it has made a big difference in texture and taste. Continuing to experiment with different food combinations, so far no problems with taste. With the ability for the grease to continue to drain off as the food cooks the texture is better. Hamburgers are crisp, not greasy as when fried in the skillet, same for steak. Plenty of room to cook on, no crowding and food is easy to flip.
    Sam

My Dad made the discovery when I was very young (I remember him commenting on it) that the fat dripping off of meat onto the hot coals gave the meat its flavor regardless of what kind of charcoal or wood we used. He noticed when grilling steaks over charcoal that the first steak didn't have near the flavor that the following steaks had. Since then we trim the fat off of the meat and toss it on the hot coals before hand.

For convenience, speed, laziness and due to our daily rains, I use a propane grill which cooks quick and the fat runs off but the meat taste nowhere near as good as charcoal. The fat drips between the burners and ends up in a small collection pan instead of simmering on the hot coals. I have a SS tray with small holes that I use to grill shrimp--I baste them with olive oil or butter. Sometimes I put them (pealed) on SS skewers and cook them like a kabob. Most any type seafood cooks immediately.

Getting back to your picture, I knew those eggs at that stage reminded me of something. It's peanut brittle.
    Last edited by Allen; 06-10-2019 at 05:44.