Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How to deal with a moose

As Townsend Whelen used to say, "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

Moose can be very unpredictable. I had the opportunity to live in the Alaskan interior for a few years and we were taught to watch from a distance. One afternoon a friend and I were float fishing down a slough when I young bull came out of the willows and charged at us in the canoe. We bailed out quickly.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Blog Entries

Jan 1966, survival school, Fort Richardson, Fairbanks AK, -40 degrees, crotch deep in dry powder snow.....I was trying to hack frozen firewood with the itty bitty hatchet carried by aircraft to be used to cut your way out of an aluminum skinned aircraft. It may have been sharp when it left the factory but either OSHA made the USAF dull them because they were sharp, or the previous classes had used it to chop bricks.

I'm not making much progress, but I'm overheating. I unzip my parka and turn around to drop it on the snow.....my gosh! there's a cow moose standing not 10 feet behind me watching, AND the snow isn't even up to her front knees, and I'm crotch deep! I couldn't see over her hump! Now I know moose don't eat people, but what do I do...after a little while looking at each other, I stuck up my arms and yelled. She jumped straight up turned in mid air and ran off away from me. Then I thought how stupid; she could have just walked over me or on me. I never knew just how big a moose really is.

That one looked like a young bull a long time from mating season. Bullwinkle is not really aggressive unless he's trying to find a girl friend. Said girl moose don't bother anybody unless she has her offspring with her. Both of 'em are decidedly curious about the stuff people get up to. Both of 'em can move through the bush in absolute silence too. Bullwinkle with his 5 foot plus wide antlers included.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    That one looked like a young bull a long time from mating season. Bullwinkle is not really aggressive unless he's trying to find a girl friend. Said girl moose don't bother anybody unless she has her offspring with her. Both of 'em are decidedly curious about the stuff people get up to. Both of 'em can move through the bush in absolute silence too. Bullwinkle with his 5 foot plus wide antlers included.
    There was once a big bull who took the road over around Healy Alaska in the winter of 93. He closed the road for a couple of hours. Guess he was tired of the snow and cold. When cars tried to pass him he charged and kinda beat up some small cars.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Really? How many moose have you shot?

At first I thought: Rambo. But the guy actually did do the dominate thing. For what it's worth he did scare the calf off and maybe taught it a lesson, humans are scary; so the calf steers clear of humans and lives a longer life.
    Aye,god Sunray would say Bullwinkle, but he's right. Moose are kind of like big cows or deer. Now, they can get annoyed. I don't have a link, but my friends friend filmed a guy getting stomped to death by a moose in downtown Anchorage(I've seen it). The moose just danced on his ass. They are almost "prehistoric" in size.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

"...kinda beat up some small cars..." Heard a story about some wee car that lost its entire roof going under a moose. Missed Bullwinkle's legs too as I recall. I've heard stories of mating season hormonal bulls charging trains in Northern Ontario too.
    "...Sunray would say Bullwinkle..." There are people here who have no idea who he is/was. Ask 'em about Moose and Squirrel, Boris.
    "...Moose are kind of like..." Moose are big deer.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I just watched a thing on t.v. about moose. I didn't see the first part, but for some reason moose populations are declining. In Alaska they get lazy and walk on roads including railroads rather than snow. Hundreds are killed annually. Here in AZ a friend had this orange jeep that he just loved. A deer took a dislike to it and just pounded the heck out of the hood for some reason. Probably something to do with rut.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Personally I would ask Rocky what to do with Bullwinkle.
    Sam