Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Classic Cars and Seat Belts

If I had a classic car from the fifties or sixties when no seat belts were required by law, would I be required to have them now, that is, have seat belts installed to legally drive the car?

2. Default

No. They are considered as "as manufactured" and therefore not required.

My 1965 Dodge had factory seat belts, they still work too

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    That's about the time I started seeing them. I think at the time it was voluntary or perhaps an option. School buses to this day don't have them that I know of except for the driver's seat.

Depends on what Delaware has to say about it. Like everything else State laws are different.
    Delaware appears not to care what vehicle you're driving, seat belts are required. Best you contact 'em and ask.
    https://ohs.delaware.gov/seatbelts.shtml
    "...School buses to this day..." Only some of 'em. When I upgrade my DL and drove school buses briefly, long ago, Public Board buses did. Separate(Catholic) Board buses did not. Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.
    The high back seats have always been an excuse. If legitimate then autos would not be required to have seat belts in the back seats. Most all newer cars have high back front seats.

What the states and county are saying is: "do what I say, not what I do".

Also, by not wearing a seat belt your insurance co. can get out of paying medical claims. Kinda makes you wonder who pushed the requirement into "law".
    Last edited by Allen; 05-16-2019 at 11:35.

Belts were optional on ‘65 Mustang . . . .standard on ‘66.

I would like to have them in been in a few crashes its nice to stay in the seat when someone hits you i worked accident reconstruction before i retired seen a lot of accidents with out seat belts you get hurt bounced around inside the car

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    1965 Dodge what? Photo?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Depends on what Delaware has to say about it. Like everything else State laws are different.
    Delaware appears not to care what vehicle you're driving, seat belts are required. Best you contact 'em and ask.
    https://ohs.delaware.gov/seatbelts.shtml
    "...School buses to this day..." Only some of 'em. When I upgrade my DL and drove school buses briefly, long ago, Public Board buses did. Separate(Catholic) Board buses did not. Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.
    Seat belts in school buses are manifestly impractical.

Default 1965 Dodge Coronet

P1010034_0030_030.jpg

This Dodge Coronet 500 came with factory seat belts. Engine is 361 original but rebuilt about 20 years ago