Thread: TCM

Default TCM

For those of you who get Turner Classic Movies

Every Thursday in May and June TCM is going to be showing WWII movies. May is home front movies. I didn't see yesterdays but last Thursday was "Since You Went Away" which is a superb movie about the families left behind by WWII soldiers, sailors and airmen.

I get tcm. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for posting Art.

Thanks,Art. Made a note of it.

thanks for the post.

Last night I watched "Hollywood Canteen" and "Tender Comrade." For those who haven't seen them "Hollywood Canteen" was a follow on to "Stagedoor Canteen" and is about a USO canteen run by actors and actresses. The cast is a whose who of 1940s Hollywood stars. "Tender Comrade" is about a group of women working in a defense plant, whose husbands are off fighting the war. The women pool their resources to make their lives more bearable. The title and the shared property themes brought it to the attention of the House Unamerican Activities Committee after the war. as a result the writer, Dalton Trumbo, was in fact blacklisted in Hollywood. The movie is a standard World War II propaganda drama and a very well done one at that with an outstanding cast headed by Robert Ryan Ginger Rodgers with Ruth Hussy, Mady Christian, and Kim Hunter. Just shows how one day's patriotism can become another's treason.
    Last edited by Art; 05-17-2019 at 09:32.

7. Default

Check out "The Cold Blue". Documentary built around out takes from Wyler's 1943 Memphis Belle. Sounds good.