Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 303 british extractor?

cruising ebay recently and noted a "krag 303 british extractor" for sale. I was unaware that there was such an item. couldn't find a mention in poyers book. were krags converted to 303 british? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Springfield...4/263668199566. thanks, john
    Last edited by shjoe; 05-09-2019 at 04:32.

Since the same guy offers a Krag .308 bolt body, it's a fairly safe bet that he is as full of s**t as a Christmas goose!

Looks like a simple case of seller ignorance. Note their additional listing of "Springfield Armory 1898 Krag .308 Bolt Body" showing a normal 1898 bolt. (Later - I see Mr. Hosmer posted similar advice while I was preparing mine. "Simulpost"!)

Most US Krags will feed .303 British ammo and a stout turn of the bolt will "re-form" the .303 case to fit the .30-40 chamber. Firing .303 would be problematic due to slightly larger bullet diameter and ~15% higher pressure than .30-40 standards. Image below has some .303 cartridges successfully chambered (NOT fired) in a US M1898 Krag.

303inKrag.JPG
    Last edited by Parashooter; 05-09-2019 at 07:47.

4. Default

great info parashooter and dick. I was thinking of getting a spare extractor. a would think that a 308 krag would be a single shot...

I'm not sure why anyone would do that. The .30-40 can, without changing anything, be loaded SO close to (basic factory) .308 ballistics as to make any comparison meaningless.

6. Default

I am not sure why either, dick. 30-40 is an excellent hunting cartridge as is without having to push the envelope. if I ever needed anything heavier there is always my H&R buffalo classic in 45-70 or my eddystone 338-06. thank you for your insight. best, john

7. Default

What happens if you actually fire a 303 in a Krag???

GUESSING, based on that story about the Krag which survived INCREDIBLE abuse with no locking lug - probably nothing, 99.9% of the time, but who wants to be the exception??

Thankfully, the ammo situation SEEMS to be getting better, if still a bit pricey. Cases which (segregated by rifle) do not require full-length resizing, are used for moderate loads, and which can be annealed if need be, will last a long time - certainly not "forever" but long enough to be a considerable economy, even at $1.50 (+/-) each, new.

9. Default

With the existence of over size bores you might find that SOME shoot quit well

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Butts View Post
    With the existence of over size bores you might find that SOME shoot quit well
    True, but, I certainly wouldn't recommend it!!

Using .303 bullets, particularly cast ones, with light loads, in Krag cases, might not be too bad in a worn bore - but I believe the question envisioned a standard .303 service cartridge.

Of course, any such non-standard utilization should be approached VERY carefully.