Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can see the CMP concern about re-sales. Given the anti-gun antics of liberals in Congress today, all they're doing is waiting for an excuse to kill any program that sells milsurp weapons.
    In the late 70's-early 80's, two San Diego PD officers where murdered by an individual who purchased his M1 thru the CMP. How do you think that would play out today?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    There were guys that bought hundreds of Garands from the CMP and resold them. They weren’t collectors, they were doing it to make a profit and that was NOT the purpose for the CMP. They were never meant to be a wholesale supplier for dealers. And, yes these cheaters and scalawags emptied the barrel prematurely. The guys that think that way are the same ones that think cheating and rigging the system is a legitimate way to conduct business.

I think you are exaggerating a bit, but that's ok, we all have our opinions,

I do think a lot of folks that could swing the cash bought there limit each year, I know a few that did,

they also flipped some, but only after they went thru them with a fine tooth comb and checked all the bits and pieces for stuff they could use to 'restore' whatever they collected (by maker or year) to how it would likely have been as it left the factory,

some even tried to match finish wear so it looked like the rifle had not been toyed with,,

either way, the CMP was glad to sell them, and used the money to support the shooting sports,

I left the North store 3 times with a handful of rifles and ammo, wish I could have afforded more, but then again, I have never flipped one I bought either,,,

I have flipped some sights and slings that I had in excess,,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    The service grades I have seen have been pretty nice. If I were called, I'm not sure I would gamble on a field grade.

My understanding is that they are dipping in the lower grades now, and refusing that option to buy will require another go-around with the lottery.
    the only complaints I have heard are those that get a replacement slide,
    the later model slides had the part number on the side,

for a collector of originals it may be a disappointment, I guess, but they have their own niche of collecting too

Blog Entries

My hope, if I were lucky enough to get one, was to use it in CMP as-issued matches and just to have the opportunity to get a USGI pistol. I'm definitely not a pistol guy, just own one.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

I was lucky to get one of the first service grades. Very nice. Dry parkerizing, needed to be wiped down with oil. I have shot it a few times and will continue to do so. No plans to sell, going to the grandkids. I hope CMP will have matches for them