Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks much for your service Fred!!! I'm sure it would do you good and you deserve to enjoy shooting those trapdoors again.

Hey thanks Carlsr!
    Yep, it'd do me a great deal of good to get back into shooting trapdoor's again. Even Remington Rolling Blocks or Sharps would be real fun for me!
    I really do want to see how the 1868's print on paper. I think I ought to set up a 100 yard range with a decent benchrest outside on our land. No smokeless or Pyrodex loads. Just Black Powder.
    I want to try out my newly acquired 1884 too that I got from Al a while back. I've got the proper 500 grain bullet mold for loading up ammo for it too.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-06-2019 at 05:11.

3. Default

[QUOTE=Fred;556917]Yes. They had to use Long Lee Enfields because the probably couldn't get their hands on enough Martini Henry's.
    But it's a great movie isn't it!

one of my all time favorites. I saw it on my tenth birthday, and when anybody asked me what I wanted for my birthday I replied "martini henry rifle."

Your welcome Fred, I only use black powder as it is much more enjoyable. Just loaded some 500 gr. bullets to try out with 60 gr. of 2F. One of these weekends it does not rain I'll get to the range and try them out.

Carl, do you load 60 grains of 2F because that's all that it takes to fill the modern case without compressing it, or is it because it's an accurate load for you?

Fred, I have used the full 70 gr 2F and it requires lots of compression. Using 59 gr. 2F for the 405 gr hollow base bullet you can compress the powder with the bullet. Seems I get better accuracy with 59 gr than I do with 70 gr. I just bought these 500 gr. bullets from Buffalo Arms so just going to try them out first with 60 gr black powder. I used 2 cardboard wads and slightly compress the powder then seat the bullet to the proper depth.