Thread: low scope mount

1. Default low scope mount

anyone hear of or seen a sporterized krag with a low mounted scope and altered/converted to side eject? most I have seen had a med/high mount to enable the ejected cases to clear the scope. thanks

There used to be someone who marketed a clamp-on deflector plate, which helped, but did not completely cure the issue. The fact is that the Krag truly IS incompatible with low center mounting, and no matter what is done, there WILL be occasional flubs. With the advent of long eye relief pistol scopes, the "problem" was finally solved. Such a set-up also requires no permanent modification - of little concern in the 40s, but critical now.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-30-2019 at 06:08.

3. Default

thanks for responding, dick. I am in favor of "no permanent modification", esp as collector grade guns are getting more difficult to find in an unmolested state. the older "sporterized" krag which I have been working on had the bolt modified with an ejector slot to hit an ejector on the left side of the receiver near the mag cut off location. reminded me of an 03 springfield ejector. I will post photos. best, john
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a manufacturer offering a sigh rail that is adaptable to using the existing holes for a rear sight. It means mounting a sight far forward of the norm, but users have said it seems to work well.

5. Default

that's a great option. long eye relief/pistol scope would work well without disturbing the rifles originality.

I've been chasing a set of those old Weaver rings for a long time. I have a few of them, but not the ones for the Krag.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

7. Default

madsenshooter, one of those items you stumble upon or they fall into your lap with an "odds n ends" purchase. best, john

If interested in a rail for a scope, try www.kraghaus.com
    Last edited by 70ish; 05-03-2019 at 10:13.

9. Default

thank you!

10. Default

madsenshooter, that scope position, alignment and eye relief/cheek weld are very comfortable and repeatable without shifting head position. fast on target. the previous owner/modifier/cobbler altered the ejector slightly with a 35-40 deg angle so the empties somewhat angle eject clearing the scope. I found no sign of scope body damage from the vertical krag ejection. the more I examine this old shooter the more I learn. cant wait to run a few lee .309 190gr cast boolits through her. should be a good combination of weight, diameter, and length. best, john