Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going Prices For M1D?

A friend of mine has the opportunity to buy an M1D. Not sure of the condition, dealer who is getting it/brokering the deal says nice. I am trying to help him with the pricing. I have checked the "Completed Auctions" on Gun Broker and that shows a lot of asking prices all over the board. However the sold prices are a different story......$3700.00 is the max that I see. Is this about right? Or to low? Or to high? He will gauge his offer appropriately for a lessor condition rifle if necessary. What are the opinions of the Board Members as to the pricing on an excellent condition M1D? Will post this question on the Sniper Board too. Thanks for any assistance.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

First thing to establish . . . .Is it an authentic “D” Model?

D’s are easily faked, as originals were made on ANY serial numbered range. (“C” versions were made ONLY on a certain serial range.)

Tread carefully!

You must have documentation when buying a M1D or M1C, nice looking examples and nice story do not prove it is original.

The CMP wants $955.00 for a 'Rack Grade' "D". $2255.00 or $3055.00 for a 'C'. Both are the rifle only. No scope, base or rings.
    Like Jim says, there are a lot of fake D's and C's out there. It seems that most sellers on auction sites are dealers who seem to be trying to get rich. All claims made on auction sites should be verified with real documentation.
    There are no factory records of S/N's that were made into a 'D'. Allegedly, real USGI barrels have a drawing #35448555, and do not have the cutouts for the rear hand guard.
    Spelling and grammar count!

It is all original parts. He has all the pertinent books, Duff, Canfield, etc.... and checked it against those. He already owns 24 Garands, so he has an idea of what to look for. The rifle came with the CMP paperwork. The scope is a M84, missing the plate. The mount is the correct one according to the books description and pictures. The muzzle wear he checked with a CMP Muzzle Wear Gage and it was less than 3. Proper numbers on the barrel and the bolt. Rifle shows honest wear, but no abuse. He paid $2800 for it. No accessories, so he will be looking for a flash hider (I have a cheek pad).
    FBI Rangemaster

6. Default

Looks to be a fair price. To have CMP paperwork is a great asset.

As already stated M1D's are easily faked or basement built without documentation they are worth no more than the sum of parts

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    As already stated M1D's are easily faked or basement built without documentation they are worth no more than the sum of parts
    As I wrote earlier "The rifle came with the CMP paperwork."
    FBI Rangemaster

Sorry missed that, personally I wouldn't have paid that much for a "D" with no assecories . By the time he builds it hes going to have more in it than he could have bought a complete documented "D" .
    Be careful ,a lot a fake M1D assecories out there
    Last edited by Orlando; 05-03-2019 at 02:49.

He is happy with the price. I have an original cheek piece that he can have. We have at least a dozen or so original slings between us. Tomorrow I am going to a gun show across the state that will have about 600 dealers to see if I can stumble across a flash hider. Bits and pieces will be found at reasonable prices. All the more full of collecting....the chase!
    FBI Rangemaster