Thread: Garand safeties

Default Garand safeties

Greetings all. Being a newbie to the world of Garand collecting I'm trying to lean as much information as my old brain housing will absorb and I thought I would ask the experts. Right now I'm confused about the use of the various SA11 marked safeties. From what I understand the SA-11 and SA_11 were WW2 production with the -11 starting to be used some where in the neighborhood of the 1.8 million rifles. Where I'm confused is as to when the _11 began use or were both used concurrently. Additionally as I understand, from different sources, the SA11 started use near the 4.2 million range. At what point did the transition change to the SA 11? Any and all information is appreciated.

Thank you in advance;

Mike George

I know my original (and well used) 2.7 mil rifle with S-A 4-44 barrel has a SA_11 safety and I have a few data
    sheets of additional 2.0 up to 2.8 mil serial ranges that all show SA_11 safety.

Duff's WW2 book shows all SA-11 safeties

Canfield's book on the M1 shows SA -11 starting at 1.8 million to end of WW2

Problem is most data sheets just do not show the difference between _11 or -11

Thank you RCS. ETA: So it sounds like the -11 was used for only a short time? Or was there a large overlap. Also, when did the SA 11 start seeing use
    Last edited by the_1st_sgt; 04-28-2019 at 09:20.

Heres alittle eye candy for you
    SA_11 safetys, package dated April 1944

Wow. Where do I find a package like that?