Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remington M1903 .22 Trainer

A friend of mine bought a .22 Cal rifle last night at an auction in Pa. It was billed as a Remington 1903 .22 Trainer. I looked through all of my books and can not find a Remington 1903 Trainer listed anywhere. Yes, I am well aware of the M1922's made by Springfield Armory, but have never seen one by Remington. Am I missing something or is this possibly one that someone made up out of spare parts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

2. Default

Looks like a standard 03A3 with q Numrich conversion unit installed.
    MHO

Since I have never seen one and am 1300 miles from the one pictured, just what does a Numrich Conversion Unit consist of? Are they still available?
    FBI Rangemaster

Default 1903 converted to 22 rim fire

Numrich sold sold a kit for the rim fire conversion years ago, it had a M2 bolt, barrel
    liner with special tool to install and a Numrich trigger guard with magazine. Also had
    a piece of metal added to the bottom of the bolt for feeding. These are collectors items
    now and very expensive. Numrich also made this 22 rf conversion kit for the Lee enfield
    Mark 3 rifle.

A number of conversion just use a 1903 (low number) with a burned out bore and install
    a quality barrel liner with extension at the rear and a M2 bolt with adjustable headspace.
    The original M2 trigger guard and magazine are difficult to install but has been done, most
    just use it as a single shot. These are quite accurate for the amount of money investedP1010053_0043.jpg

Thanks for the information will pass it along to him. I believe he had a winning bid of $540 for the rifle with conversion unit. He has said the trigger guard/magazine well is there, but I don't know if he has a mag for it. Does anyone have a picture of one? I have a Lee Enfield MKV* that is a single shot, nice part about that is the empties fall into the gutted magazine. Makes clean up easier.

Thanks again for the assistance,
    AJ
    FBI Rangemaster

6. Default

Numrich 22 Conversion Unit
    Recently I have seen several inquiries about the Numrich 22 Conversion unit for the M1903/M03A3 rifle. Some were looking for installation instructions. I have reviewed my older copies of the American Rifleman magazine. So far as I can tell, the conversion unit was first advertised in the AR in January 1959 issue for $34.50 and by August had disappeared from the Numrich ads. I do not know why. Perhaps they ran out of parts. A modified 03A3 trigger guard with a commercial magazine and a plate to make the round feed was included.
    I do not have the instructions but I can post the article which appeared in the AR in March 1959 which may be of some help. You will note that the pictured rifle did not have an ejector pin. The M2 bolt did not have a slot to accommodate th 03/03A3 ejector
    https://imgur.com/4V9toK2
    https://imgur.com/jUxn1sD
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-26-2019 at 03:40.

7. Default

True enough I never had one of these because for 40.00 I could have a M1903 I don't know who built them, but Numrich had the ability to fabricate them

8. Default

Numrich made 2500 units. They occasionally come up for sale for anywhere between $600 and $1200. Magazine is a standard H&R. Kits come with an installation tool, but I am not sure how essential it is. The bolt alteration is a subtle feature.

The Numrich conversion of the Lee Enfield Mark III to 22 rim fire are not as common. Years ago there were Lee Enfield
    22 rim fire bolts and a few rim fire barrels available. I think SARCO also had the parts. I know that I put one together
    for a friend. The short firing pin had to be fitted as too the correct length. Nice conversion but single shot.

I did convert a bolt for the Parker Hiscock magazine years ago, these magazines are very expensive now

10. Default

One of these units is currently available on EBay.