Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Values, Can Anyone Help?

My old hands just aren't so good with my heavy old guns any more so I have decided to sell at least two of them, maybe all three. Does anyone have the books who can give me a high and low value on them? If so, I will post what they are. I just bought a nice little Ruger LCP II and I love the lighter weight. It's time for a lighter weight .45 too!

No books but have you looked at the range on gun broker?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Any book value will be at least 2 years out of date and will not reflect local supply and demand. Sites like Gunbroker seem to be mostly dealers with odd ideas of what stuff is worth. Better ball park number than a book though.
    It'd probably be best to take 'em to a local gun shop to get an evaluation. Keeping in mind that if they're buying, dealers base used prices on their wholesale cost and how fast they think they can sell. Might be different if you tell 'em you want a value for insurance purposes.
    Oh and lighter weight adds up to increased felt recoil.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I bought a book of gun values and it was WAY OFF on day one!
    Search around you on the internet, go to different dealers, like J&G Sales, Buds gun shop all DOT coms etc.
    What do you have for sale?
    another thing, I've had my health go south.... afterall... I am in the "winter of my life" so I've been selling my stuff off.
    You will find you are better off selling locally as you don't have to pay for shipping and handling and FFL's on both ends etc which raises the price so the gun becomes "NOT a bargain".
    Also, AR 15's now adays are dirt cheap. You can buy an AR15 or AR 10 on Palmetto state armory for 500 to $700 complete.
    I have AR's that I'd like to sell that are LOW MILEAGE target models, however, nobody wants to pay for that target grade 1 in 7 twist barrel, the timney or JP trigger, the target sights etc etc. Most people don't even KNOW the difference.
    GOOD luck.

Blog Entries

Wow, from the title, I thought this thread was started by AOC!

Why not post what you have? There’s a wide range of knowledge here. Someone will help determine the value.

Blog Entries

I am a FFL\SOT and deal mostly in estates\used firearms,

let me know what you have , and accurate condition description, and I can give you an avg retail (for the East Coast)

PM/email me and I will shop around for you. I have several collector friend that are always looking for something to enhance their collections.

About 99% of anything on line is going to be well over priced. The Blue book of gun values it the bible used by most dealers as to the value of a firearm. Those selling on the likes of Gun Broker are so far afield that you cannot use it to judge values.

What I have noticed on blue book value is that's it's like BB value on used cars. In a real world their predicted price may be more correct than on-line sales but, to give an example, you want an old Colt Diamondback pistol in new condition. BB may (just an example) list the gun at $600. OK, great, go find one? You will probably go to your grave long before you find that pistol, in that condition at that price. View the same gun on line and it may be $1200 (just an example). You want it but don't want to pay the price. More than likely someone else will because that one and only gun is being viewed by everyone in the country that is in the market for such. Pay the $1200 now and enjoy it or do w/o it and spend many dollars and hours looking for one at a local gun shop.

I have seen a lot of guns overpriced on line due to misrepresentation, lies, or simply because it was photo'd well or had a pretty stock on it or something. That's why you look at the whole lot--not just one or two.

The gun industry changes so much and so quickly that I have never seen a book that had values at what I would sell at but always what I would like to buy at.

I have bought all too many guns the past 30 years or so, 2 or 3 from gun shows, 5 or 6 from local gun shops, but the bulk was purchased on-line. I don't feel I overpaid for any of them and could sell them today for a profit if need be. I would rather give the local guys the money but when they just don't have the product well... so I have to agree with those that say look at GB and see what they actually sell for.

The original thread began with someone wanting to sell so if they bring more on-line that would be the place to sell and judge what to ask for them. On top of that there is more traffic. Ask too much, it probably won't sell. Ask too little and it may create a bidding war.

On a side note, I've never seen a question presented quite like this. If the original poster indicated what he/she had for sale it might just be something we are all too familiar with and could give him/her a reasonable estimation instead of all these generalized responses.
    Last edited by Allen; 04-24-2019 at 09:14.