Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Default Winchester Carbine question

I have a Winchester carbine in the 5 million 7 hundred thousand range. At the end of the serial number there is a "D". What does this mean? Also it has a dog bone shaped cut out for the oiler and strap. It also has a W.R.A. Over G.H.D. I thought these dog bone stocks were only for early Inland carbines. What's up with this carbine? Thanks for any help..

You have a medium late Winchester carbine in a fairly early Winchester stock, not an original stock for that barrelled receiver. Is the W.R.A over G.H.D. in a box or not? Inland, Winchester, Underwood, National Postal Meter, Quality Hardware, Rock-Ola, Irwin Pedersen, Saginaw S'G', IBM, and perhaps even Standard Products all used an I-cut stock in their early production.

No box around the wra/ghd

- - - Updated - - -

What about the letter "D" at the end of the serial number and a bit below too?

Duane, can you post a photo of the serial number and the letter D? It's not a part of the serial number but a picture will help with it. Also is you stock a high wood or has it been cut down? That would be the area of the stock on the right hand side that would cover most of the forward part of the slide. If you can see the slide moving back very well then it's most likely a cut down. Photos of the part of the stock will help with that too. A non cut down stock can be worth a lot of money now on the collector market.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks for everything guys!

The 'D' could have been put there by anybody the thing used by. Carbines tended to get around as gifts from one 'Uncle Sam' to his friends. And they'd stamp 'em with all kinds of stuff.
    Rummage around here for a few days. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/index.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

"D" for duplicate?