Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Varnished stocks

I went to one of my favorite gun shows today that’s held every few months and saw a lot more battle rifles for sale than usual. I came away wondering why some people have this unfortunate urge to sand off all the cartouches and varnish the stock of a perfectly good battle rifle. I saw a M1 Garand, an Enfield No. 4 Mk 2, an Eddystone M1917 and a M1903 Springfield with varnished stocks. The M1 looked really bad. I suppose replacement stocks could be found and maybe some uninformed individual might think the varnish looks cool.

My trapdoor was varnished and looked sad when I bought it several years ago. The asking price was pretty cheap. The bore looked good and I saw that the varnish/poly was loose and peeling in several places, probably because of the oil in the stock. I gently peeled off the rest of the varnish and found that the rack numbers and cartouches were still fairly bold, although Bubba decided to carve a hand grip in the underside of the fore stock. I rubbed in some Ballistol oil that brought up the color of the grain and it looks pretty good. I bought a box of 45-70 black powder cartridges for it a few years ago and may shoot it this year (I say that every year).

I saw an unusual 30-06 Mauser from the 1950s that was for sale. Never knew they were made in that caliber.

Because there are too many bubba's around is the reason for such stupidity.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I saw an unusual 30-06 Mauser from the 1950s that was for sale. Never knew they were made in that caliber.
    Although the commercial side of the Mauser business would make (or license to make) their foreign customers rifles in any caliber they wanted, I don't know of any that were originally built in .30-06. I could be wrong though. However a lot of countries rebuilt their rifles to different calibers, especially after WW II to make them compatible with their post war semi automatic rifles. Heck, some countries rechambered their old Remington Rolling blocks to calibers like 7mm Mauser after they adopted Mauser repeaters in the late 19th century. Since the only country I know of that was making new Mausers after WWII was Yugoslavia and theirs were all 7.92mm, I suspect your rifle was re-barreled to .30-06 by a country like Brazil. The crest on the receiver should tell the tale.
    Last edited by Art; 04-14-2019 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Although the commercial side of the Mauser business would make (or license to make) their foreign customers rifles in any caliber they wanted, I don't know of any that were originally built in .30-06. I could be wrong though. However a lot of countries rebuilt their rifles to different calibers, especially after WW II to make them compatible with their post war semi automatic rifles. Heck, some countries rechambered their old Remington Rolling blocks to calibers like 7mm Mauser after they adopted Mauser repeaters in the late 19th century. Since the only country I know of that was making new Mausers after WWII was Yugoslavia and theirs were all 7.92mm, I suspect your rifle was re-barreled to .30-06 by a country like Brazil. The crest on the receiver should tell the tale.
    The number .30 (caliber) the date (maybe 1954) and a serial number were the only marks I can remember seeing that we’re stamped on the receiver. It makes sense that Mauser would make a rifle in any caliber desired by the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Didn't Israel re-barrel Mausers for 30-06 or was it only for the 308 (7.62x51 NATO) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Didn't Israel re-barrel Mausers for 30-06 or was it only for the 308 (7.62x51 NATO) ?
    The Israeli's re barreled their assortment of Mauser short rifles to 7.62 NATO to make them compatible with their FN FAL rifles and machine guns. Those rifles are stamped 7.62 in bold letters. The Israelis sold those rifles to wholesalers in the U.S. and they went like hotcakes. The heritage and caliber of the rifles making them extremely desirable.

Merc:

The Yugoslavs made a "scrubbed" export model of their M1948 Mausers called the M48 BO to they'd have "plausible deniability" about the rifles coming from them. The only marking on these rifles was the serial number. They appear to have been made in both straight bold handle and turned down bolt handle models. Your rifle could possibly be an M48 that was surplussed out and the civilian buyer had rechambered to .30-06.
    Last edited by Art; 04-14-2019 at 06:53.

The Dutch police and military used original 30-06 Mauser short rifles. I have one.

"...uninformed individual..." This one. Some people think they're improving the thing by refinishing it.
    "...Israeli's re barreled..." They bought 'em that way. Most Israeli Mausers were made by FN and/or the Czechs after W.W. II specifically for Israel. Any of 'em sold to wholesalers in the U.S. weren't rebarreled by Israel for resale. That'd cost money they didn't have and wouldn't recover by selling 'em.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...uninformed individual..." This one. Some people think they're improving the thing by refinishing it.
    "...Israeli's re barreled..." They bought 'em that way. Most Israeli Mausers were made by FN and/or the Czechs after W.W. II specifically for Israel. Any of 'em sold to wholesalers in the U.S. weren't rebarreled by Israel for resale. That'd cost money they didn't have and wouldn't recover by selling 'em.
    I believe that is (mostly) incorrect.

Most of the Mausers were brought in in the early days of Israel were in 7.92mm Mauser were, in fact, ex NAZI guns, both 98ks and vz 24s used by the Whermacht. The Czechs did make some rifles for the israelis but used a lot of surplus NAZI parts, including receivers and barrels in the process. Virtually all were in 7.92x57 except for a handful donated by Sweden which were in a proprietary Swedish 8 mm cartridge. All were rechambered to 7.62 mm NATO in the late 1950s, interestingly when we had only started to change over to the NATO round ourselves. The Czechs also donated a lot of ex NAZI automatic weapons, especially MG 34s also in 7.92mm Mauser.

Wordpress has an excellent article on this that unfortunately won't "hotlink" but its there for you to "google under wwiiafterwwiiwordpress.com. It's pretty far down in the article which deals with post WWII use of WWII equipment in general.
    Last edited by Art; 04-15-2019 at 04:37.

10. Default

I recall that at one time "sporterizing" milsurps was very "chic", "in", they were cheap compared to commercial rifles and displaying your "worksmanip" marked you as a "craftsman". Sort of a "beating swords into ploughshares". Nowadays it's sacrilegious, and many found out it was a lot harder than it looked for meager results.
    I have an M1888 Trapdoor Springfield that Bubba got hold of-cut away the fore end and the bayonet mechanism is gone-but it came with the bayonet. ?
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 04-15-2019 at 08:46.