Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default VN era powder question

Found some H335 I bought in early '80s. Eight pounds in a plastic bag, came in a cardboard box sealed with a Hodgdon's label. I put it in a new unused paint can and put the lid on tight. Didn't save the lot number when I put the label in the can.

If this is surplus powder with flash suppressant, what is a good way to clean it out of the gas tube if that proves to be a problem? Disassembling the upper to put the gas tube in an ultrasonic is a little more than I want to think about if it can be avoided.

Disassembly is the only way I’Ve found if the gas tube gets heavy carbon. I soak them in slip 2000 carbon cutter then ultra sonic cleaner. I wish there was a short cut.

Did you just pour the powder into the paint can or left it in the plastic bag? If you poured it into the can then take it out and put it in a plastic container of some kind. Once powder starts to turn and it will it will release an acid vapor which will eat into the metal can and you wind up with red colored powder from the rust the acid has caused. The powder is useless at that point. Just about all powders have a flash suppressant in it. Most often a form of graphite that will reduce the flash and reduce the burning rate of the powder.

Blog Entries

never understood why someone worried about cleaning out a gas tube,

they are cheap, and easy to replace,

if you are are shooting a powder that causes a build up
    I've shot a few 8lb jugs of 844, and some 4895/4064/N140, N540 and maybe 5lbs of 748 thru multiple AR, including a M16 with out issue

[QUOTE=lyman;555405]never understood why someone worried about cleaning out a gas tube,

I've shot a few 8lb jugs of 844, and some 4895/4064/N140, N540 and maybe 5lbs of 748 thru multiple AR, including a M16 with out issue

I’d rather clean one and shoot it some more...

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=p246;555408]
    Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    never understood why someone worried about cleaning out a gas tube,

I’d rather clean one and shoot it some more...

how many rounds are you shooting between cleaning, and what powder

I used primarily 844 when I shot high power, figure 2000 rounds a year,, maybe more, for 15 yrs and never had to change or clean a tube

[QUOTE=lyman;555410]
    Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post

how many rounds are you shooting between cleaning, and what powder

I used primarily 844 when I shot high power, figure 2000 rounds a year,, maybe more, for 15 yrs and never had to change or clean a tube
    For practice we buy low bid, the bid calls for the dirtiest powder available, okay I might be stretching the truth but it does not seem like it. I take care of a fleet of about 50 rifles so it varies, We have a mix of DI and short stroke gas piston. The SSGP Rifles also carbon at the gas block although the chamber stays much cleaner. The gas tubes are pulled once a year unless there is an issue. The range rifles have lots of rounds through them in a year, and those gas tubes have on occasion been welded in and take a soakng of kroil to get them out. The rifles still function, it’s just more of an armorers problem. I have collapsed two tubes trying to get them out due to carbon buildup and obviously those got pitched and new tubes installed. The range rifles are replaced every 10 Years and they are junk at that point (TE usually at 5 or 6, along with other issues)
    Last edited by p246; 04-15-2019 at 06:30.

Blog Entries

interesting,

wondering if there is a way to measure build up in the tubes when you pull them once a year,

that would be some interesting data, esp if you knew the powder used in that practice ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    interesting,

wondering if there is a way to measure build up in the tubes when you pull them once a year,

that would be some interesting data, esp if you knew the powder used in that practice ammo!
    I don’t know the powder used as it’s all commercial ammo. The powder build up is mainly is around the front of the tube extending down about one inch from what I can tell. The rest of the gas tube remains open, obviously dirty but open. Once again this is on dedicated range rifles that get shot a lot in a year.

This is one of the reasons that I shoot the Mini-14 over the AR-15. Not trying to start an argument, just my opinion.
    Sam