Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bald eagles nesting in Pittsburgh.

https://www.csecorporation.com/Pitts...Bald-Eagle-Cam

They have 2 eaglets in the current nest and have raised and fledged 8 previously. First nesting pair within the city limits in 250 years. The nest is on a hill side along the Monongahela River near a busy road and RR track. Doesn’t seem to bother them. The river provides most of the food.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-09-2019 at 05:10. Reason: Correction - 250 years, not 150 years.

Wow that is so nice i live on the Delaware River and we have nests along the river i use my spotting scope to watch them and take pictures just last week one big one came down and grabbed a big trout right in front of me took it back to the nest couldn't get a picture beautiful bird

Thanks for posting. Residents will have something new to observe now.

I think we have eagles here too along the gulf coast. The nest look similar or the same but it is said that many of the sightings here of the birds are actually osprey's which aren't quite as large. Of course the bald eagle is an unmistakable creature.

It’s been interesting to watch our eagles. The nest is probably less than 2 miles from my house. They have only raised and fledged a full brood of 3 eaglets once. One egg always seems to non-viable for some reason. Their nest fell out of the tree one year and they raised one chick on the ground. The entire tree fell over a few years ago just before the female was due to start laying eggs. They had to find a new nesting site in a hurry which is their current one.

Interesting behavior - they don’t expell the unviable egg from the nest. The male often bring new nesting material to the nest and unviable egg just ends up getting buried. The male brought a plastic garbage bag to the nest on 3/29 that had everyone worried but I don’t see it now. The rivers that used to be barren due to industrial pollution now have 76 species of fish for them to hunt. While fish make up the majority of the diet, the male has also brought gulls, pigeons, squirrels, rabbits, rats, snakes and cats to the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    the male has also brought gulls, pigeons, squirrels, rabbits, rats, snakes and cats to the nest.
    People in your area need to be alerted about the eagles having the capability of catching, killing and flying off with their cats, small dogs and poultry.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    People in your area need to be alerted about the eagles having the capability of catching, killing and flying off with their cats, small dogs and poultry.
    They can take any animal that weighs up to about 10 pounds. Red tail hawks are common around here and have similar habits and capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    True.

Right before hurricane Harvey our daughter was out in her back yard with her big Siamese "Tubby" and an immature bald eagle snatched the cat out of her back yard right in front of her. A bald eagle nest here in North Houston fell out of a tree a couple of years ago and it had the collars of several small dogs in it.

A bald eagle can exceed 14 pounds in weight so animals up to 9-10 pounds are at a definite risk of being killed and carried off. Eagles can kill larger animals but in those cases usually eat them on the spot. Red tail hawks never exceed four pounds (though they look bigger) and are mostly rodent feeders but kittens, chicks and small breed adult chickens are definitely at risk with them. Our daughter got a kitten she named "Surley," replacement player for tubby. She looked out her kitchen window one day and saw a magnificent male red tail hawk on one of the fence posts in her back yard. She immediately made sure Surley was safe inside.

It is important to remember that killing any bird of prey today is a serious crime that can result in very hefty fines and possible jail time. Some protected animals (not endangered) can be killed if they are a big enough nuisance as long as they are not used (skinned, eaten etc.) Birds of prey cannot be killed for any reason. Birds have a great lobby.

Food is a big issue. New York City had a resident population of peregrin falcons in the 1970s when the whole city was highly polluted - the reason- the millions of pigeons that live in the city. Food matters.
    Last edited by Art; 04-10-2019 at 09:11. Reason: Syntax, correctness

We have Peregrine Falcons nesting on the tops of tall buildings.

We've got bald eagles here in Arkansas like you wouldn't believe -- I saw a 2-year old in a tree in my pasture a couple of months ago.