1. Default Need opinions and help with A4 stock

Hello all,
    I recently purchased an 1903A4 that was listed on GB as a modified 1903. The rifle came with a C stock but it was obviously modified and not an original. I just recently found a legit Keystone replacement A4 stock but one odd thing is the area behind the pistol grip. It looks to have been undercut for some odd reason but everything else looks right. Question is has anyone seen a stock with this as an original (I doubt it). Just thought I'd ask. Also, considering this modification, would you keep it in the non-original C stock or put it in the modified A4 stock. I'm leaning toward the modified A4 stock. Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

NO EXPERT . That said ,it appears the original stock was modified by a former owner. Would your rifle have been issued with a "wart hog" stock"?? I don't see how the modified wood can be restored to it's original contours . BTW just for curiosities sake, does it still bear any cartouches

Are you sure that darker stock isn't one of the special stocks issued on target rifles in the 30's? Wasn't there a B sporter?
    Last edited by sdkrag; 04-08-2019 at 07:20.

The first picture of the bolt cut out is correct. The other is a bubba job.

5. Default

I believe the " B " profile stocks were installed on the M1922 rifles. There was a more radical drop at the heel

My fist impression was also the B, need more pics and check Brophy, I believe it was "not" just issued on the 1922. Anyhow I'm not that familiar with the B but on the left side of your stock the area of the disconnect has the war time "drop or step cut" for the disconnect. Pre war had that area inlet so I'm inclined to think it is a war time product and that it is either a Keystone or a Milton Bradley.
    Last edited by Randy A; 04-09-2019 at 08:41.

1903A4's were exclusively built out of 1903A3's. Not '03's. That one is an '03A4 receiver though. According to oldguns.net's S/N look up.
    I'd guess the one in picture 1846 is an aftermarket commercial stock. Very much a Wild and Hairy Guess though.
    "...would you..." How well does it shoot the way it is? Hornady 168 grain HPBT's and IMR4064 does wonders out of my real '03A4. No issue scope on it either. They ran upwards of $200US when I bought the rifle.
    Spelling and grammar count!

8. Default

The stock shown in the first two photos is what I believe to be an "original" replacement A4 stock that has been modified or re-shaped around the grip area. Not sure why, possibly a repair to get rid of a crack behind the tang, who knows? The cutoff area has the Keystone K in the relief area but no other markings or cartouches on it. The stock in the last two photos was what the rifle was in when I purchased it and looks like a bolt relief modified commercial C stock. I haven't shot the rifle yet but looking forward to it. Just wanted to clarify my original post since some had questions. Thanks again for any and all opinions.