Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Springfield 1903 National Match on GB

Greetings,

Looks like a beautiful Springfield NM with some nice accessories. Not mine, just interested in folk's learned opinion on it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/806133300

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

Blog Entries

I have suspicions about that rifles originality.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Good looking rifle. National match? Don't know. Possibly. Will wait for comments from John Beard, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

4. Default

I looked up the sn., Its not listed in the DCM Rifle Sales book. Now that doesn't mean its not a NM rifle. It should have a cartouche D.A.L. Or S.A. S.P.G. Buying firearms like that its best to see it in person. But thats just me. Nice looking rifle some pictures are a little dark.

The rifle is not entirely original. The handguard, for example, is a WWII contractor-made replacement. The stock appears correct, but is missing the inspector's stamp and proof mark. I see no serial number on the bolt. The rear sight is from an earlier rifle, but may be correct. The trigger guard and floorplate have nice early blue, but the originals were parkerized.

The rifle is an exceptionally nice rifle with some nice, desirable accessories, but not as valuable as an original.

Good Luck!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-30-2019 at 07:52.

Thanks to everyone for their comments about this rifle! Always good to have open, honest, comparative analysis discussions about 1903 rifles.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

Yeah the star mark on the muzzle looks good and the rails on the receiver look legit NM. The bolt if I'm reading it right is a D1. So that would be really late. Plus even though it has the directional pattern change on it which is correct, the polishing looks odd to me. Like more commercial done than SA.

A lot as John mentioned stuff has been changed on it.

If someone wanted a great shooter, this would be it. But I think the value of it is a lot less than the starting price.

No one caught the 'gold' bead aftermarket front sight blade?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    No one caught the 'gold' bead aftermarket front sight blade?
    easy to change, may have been the shooters preference?

10. Default

In the "For what it is worth " category; It looks to me as if the entire rifle and all stock fittings have been buffed and blued. The polish on the bolt looks as if it has been buffed to the point that the S/N has been buffed off. It may be that my computer pictures give the rifle this look. I have only one NM M1903 to compare it to so I may be incorrect
    JMHO
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-26-2019 at 03:43.