Thread: Type 1 lock bar

Default Type 1 lock bar

I have two rifles with the Type 1 lock bar which was a replacement for the "flush nut" but really did not
    work out and had a short service life. Always difficult to find on a rifle and some have been faked by the
    installation of a sleeve with the early thread on a Type 2 lock bar. Original Typ1 rear sight groups are
    over $600 now.

I have a 38K with a S-A 10-41 barrel with a Type 1 lock bar and a June 1942 rifle also with the Type 1
    lock barP1010054_0051.jpgP1010055_0052.jpgP1010024_0020_020.jpg

I actually like the lock bar sight and have 2 Garands that they are appropriate for... maybe original, maybe not.. My Garands are CMP's and not collectible items, but I still (at 74) get a kick out of shooting them.

3. Default

Always neat to see rare variations pop up! The M1 was a work in progress during WWII, on it's way to becoming the M14.... CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

4. Default

Now that's the sort of thing I REALLY should have been looking for many years ago when Northridge International was nearby in San Fernando, I was pawing through the parts bins most Saturdays back then.
    Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history and the heritage begins.
    Revolutionary War Veterans Associationhttp://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    Paying Tribute To April 19, 1775 Through Awareness, Learning & Marksmanship.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

I bought a replacement for a lost lock bar at Greeley's in Cedar Grove, NJ many years back. It wouldn't fit... I took it to work and they drilled out the hole and tapped it 8-36.. another type 1 lost!

i have a July '42 with a proper Type I rear sight on it along with the correct checkered windage knob...

i got the sight for the rifle in 2002 when i first got the rifle and it wasnt outrageously priced back then but it was cheap, as in $50-75...

i DONT have a correct barrel for it though, or an EMcF stock...

What are the visible differences between type 1 and type 2 Lockbars?

Regards dennis

The "flush nut" and Type 1 lock bar use a 6 x 40 taper thread while the Type 2 and Type 3 lock bar used a longer
    pinion and 8 x36 thread
    Last edited by RCS; 08-03-2019 at 05:25.

Thank you.

10. Default

I cant believe how high prices are for these sights now....