Default Going Price For M1D??

A friend of mine has the opportunity to buy an M1D. Not sure of the condition, dealer who is getting it/brokering the deal says nice. I am trying to help him with the pricing. I have checked the "Completed Auctions" on Gun Broker and that shows a lot of asking prices all over the board. However the sold prices are a different story......$3700.00 is the max that I see. Is this about right? Or to low? Or to high? He will gauge his offer appropriately for a lessor condition rifle if necessary. What are the opinions of the Board Members as to the pricing on an excellent condition M1D? Will post this question on the M1 Garand Board too. Thanks for any assistance.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Is the M84 scope original or a replica? Is the mount original or replica? The difference easy $1000. Condition of the barrel? The D's use a special barrel which is a lot more expensive than a regular Garand barrel if it has to be replaced. Accessories, flash hider, cheek pad ? $3,700 ? may not be far off.

It is all original parts. He has all the pertinent books, Duff, Canfield, etc.... and checked it against those. He already owns 24 Garands, so he has an idea of what to look for. The rifle came with the CMP paperwork. The scope is a M84, missing the plate. The mount is the correct one according to the books description and pictures. The muzzle wear he checked with a CMP Muzzle Wear Gage and it was less than 3. Proper numbers on the barrel and the bolt. Rifle shows honest wear, but no abuse. He paid $2800 for it. No accessories, so he will be looking for a flash hider (I have a cheek pad).

This gives him three U.S. snipers.
    1.) M1903-A4
    2.) M1D
    3.) M40
    Last edited by usmc69; 04-29-2019 at 05:50.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster