Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWII Krag (?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdkrag View Post
    There were still VFW Posts or Legions in South Dakota carrying Krags as late as 10 years ago.
    CMP had a few for sale not too long ago from some such posts,,

2. Default

Were Krags issued to some of the US armed merchant ships in WW2 for sea mine destruction, etc.? Seems like I read that somewhere recently.

3. Default

Don’t know. My main interest in acquiring this rifle were the cross cannons and block P firing proof. These are much later than WW1, and we’re first used in other arms starting around 1940-but so far this is only observation as I have not been able to find any documentation .

A metal detector guy showed me some finds from the northernmost of the three WW-1 British-Canadian Royal Flying Corps Fields in Fort Worth, Texas. The British Canadian use ran from October 1917 to April 1, 1918, when the US Army Air Service took them over. The three fields operated a bit past Armistice Day. My point is the guy had some .30-40 (NOT .303) FA empties he had dug up. So I would suspect the Krags were used as secondary martial arms here in "Foat Wuth." The RFC probably had some rifles for guard duty but I have not seen any pictures of Enfields or Rosses. They had lots of Vickers and Lewis guns for Aerial Gunnery which in fact was the mission of that Northern Field. The Western (Benbrook, Texas) mission was reconnaissance, and the southernmost (Everman, Texas) field was for primary training and aerobatics.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 04-10-2019 at 09:50.

I recently saw a picture on another forum from life magazine captioned Guerrilla Warfare training, Concord Mass 1942. In the pictures are men wearing m1917 helmets and the blue denim fatigues that were worn around that time. The arms they had were a mixed lot to include a Krag and a potato digger machine gun. It was thought that the men were Mass State Militia.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

6. Default

Any chance you can find that photo?

Northern by birth, transplanted to Free America by the grace of God

Wasnt there some photographic evidence floating around of Krags being used for training in the UK leading up to D-Day? I think they were black, segregated troops. I may be having a brain fart here. Possibly sent to the UK in 1939 - 40 for Home Guard units like some of the Winchester lever guns?