Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens 77 E

1. Default

I wouldn’t rule it absolutely not factory applied. There are some early M520-30 riot guns with the hand stamped “M.520 U.S” on the receiver that looks like it was done by a kindergartener. I was sure they were fake until I found 3 more just like it. They’re in the correct serial number range.

I’ve got a Model 520A (JC Higgins 102.25) from 1946-47 that should have a 70k serial number but instead has a 4 digit serial hand stamped on the side of the receiver much like that 620 riot.
    Last edited by Keydet92; 05-28-2019 at 06:23.
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

2. Default

Mine had the number stamped twice. Once on the receiver as shown, and also on the barrel, around the circumference next to the receiver (in other words not in a straight line, but rather in a circle around the barrel). There is no way that is factory. It was very well done, in large numbers, but no way factory.
    There are other references around to arsenals stamping serials, since every gun in US inventory MUST have a serial number. I bought it off a table at OGCA, there were a bunch of them, they all came out of a PD. All were cutdowns with no provision for a front bead sight. But the US markings on the side of the receiver were absolutely correct, and have been seen many times on early guns. I think I paid $150, no one would go to all that trouble for that money.

3. Default

I believe you.

Did your gun have civilian markings like the one in the link you sent? Maybe Stevens did a clean up of whatever they had on hand to satisfy their first delivery to the War Dept, serialized and unserialized. Maybe some Civilian Procurement Program guns.
    Last edited by Keydet92; 05-28-2019 at 07:15.
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

4. Default

Yes, it had the normal civilian markings, and I think three stars.